• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you buy this?

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, not sure if I'm in the right section but I reviewed others and couldn't decided where was best (haven't been on the boards since my build thread years ago). Big brother wants to buy an XJ, he's good with cars and looked at this thing once, says its clean and looks good but will be going back tomorrow to test drive it. I am skeptical of this rig since its been on this dealers lot for a year and has an RC lift on it (add a leaf rear, and maybe RE shocks unless they're painted). Interior of truck looks good, engine sounds fine.

I've been around Jeeps a while and know this 99 should have cap/rotor ignition, HP30 front and a 29 (vs 27) spline rear 8.25 CryCo rear end. Also given year shouldn't have that weird head gasket issue. Can confirm on rear end. If you have any corrections to my knowledge on this let me know!

Only other question is, would you buy it? They're asking 6k. Him and I are thinking no more than mid $4,000. Its has NP231, 4.0L and 180k on the clock.

Thanks everyone! Sorry in advance to any moderator that has to push me to another section, wasn't sure if I was in the right one. Cheers! - Eric

Here are a couple of pictures, link below for more:

2vj7rlc.jpg

2ry5b8o.jpg

2w56cgm.jpg

wgvzv5.jpg

w1pbog.png

2i8ao2d.png

211422g.png

Link to more images...

http://www.skylinemotorsofraleigh.com/mobile/mImagesAll.aspx?cmb=0|260840679|271929

Last edited:
If it has no major rust, and the engine makes even cranking compression with the coil grounded, the rest is negotiable. Worst thing that can happen is they accept your offer! :D

We bought our first XJ at some "buy here, pay here" used car lot. The wimmens went in first and beat the salesman down $2000. I went in after they called me. The salesman plopped down a two-inch stack of papers for me to fill out:
"What's this?" I asked.
"Its the loan application" he said.
"Oh hell no" I declared! "I have a 0% card that will cover this!"

The card was approved, the sale was processed, that salesman was sent down the road. When I got my Colorado Title, there were a half-dozen dealerships listed on the back (that had bought this Jeep) before my wife walked in and saw the shiny paint.

Last edited:
If it has no major rust, and the engine makes even cranking compression with the coil grounded, the rest is negotiable. Worst thing that can happen is they accept your offer! :D

We bought our first XJ at some "buy here, pay here" used car lot. The wimmens went in first and beat the salesman down $2000. I went in after they called me. The salesman plopped down a two-inch stack of papers for me to fill out:
"What's this?" I asked.
"Its the loan application" he said.
"Oh hell no" I declared! "I have a 0% card that will cover this!"

The card was approved, the sale was processed, that salesman was sent down the road. When I got my Colorado Title, there were a half-dozen dealerships listed on the back (that had bought this Jeep) before my wife walked in and saw the shiny paint.

I like that attitude! He's got a basically brand new titan, so it'll actually be his wife driving this one most of the time. I'm sure the steering will need some work for her to drive it, hence him wanting to get the best deal he can. He will also likely put on a decent lift for safety reasons (he has a young son) but I think the price seemed okay to me. They're asking $6k for it, which is absurd IMO. I paid $5,100 in 2008 for a 99 2 door with a 5 speed, rubicon express lift, TNT number, snorkel and a ton of under body armor and it only had 109k.

It is at a dealership after all, so I don't know if they would be willing to go too low. In my opinion its work $4k or less (per car fax its had 6 owners).

Thanks man! Any other opinions welcome!

Also, be mindful this is a 1999. Being that 1997-1999 has HP30 front, higher spline 8.25 rear, AW4, and the "better" of the 4.0L series motors I figured it would be worth something. If any of that is wrong, please let me know!

I'd say closer to $3k, maybe, but I'm not a guy out in the market place.
180k miles wouldn't scare many of us here, hell sounds like a new jeep to me :) but I'd bet the old xj was bought very cheaply then upgraded on a budget to make a dime with the off road enthusiast market. Could be mistaken.

Old rule of thumb was most dealers want $2k on top of what they paid for a vehicle, $6k maybe be their pie in the sky "damn you beat me down on the price " number, or they may have over paid. Worth a shot if the body is ok and suspension is up to snuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not a bad looking Jeep. The lots in my area have prices of $6000 to $7000 on the windshields of nice looking XJs. Research prices in your area, then mention that XJ has been sitting for awhile.

'98 and '99 are a sweet spot for a lot of reasons. I think a nice one with only 180k can easily be rationalized as being worth a premium, and I wouldn't hesitate to pay $4k. If it matters, you might want to check the head casting. I've seen some say that the 0331, which is prone to crack, appeared in '99, but others say not until '00.

Paul

I wouldn't buy for 6k, 4-5k sounds more reasonable. Depends on how badly you want it or are willing to wait for a better deal. Craigslist search for others in your area to get a price comparison.

I don't know about others on this forum/rest of the country but I noticed while shopping for mine a lot of guys had their engines rebuilt around 200k (maybe due to strict CA smog laws). 180k is getting pretty close to that number.

Get a VIN # and print out the build sheet, it'll tell you everything about the axels/TC/etc

I'll add my vote to the "too much to pay" category. Is there a reason that your sister in law wants a lifted Jeep to drive as her daily with a young child? Seems to me that a stock version would be a better option.

My '01 was under 5k with 124000 on it as a stock vehicle. That one you are looking at - no cruise, no CD player, holes in the dash, dent on the drivers side, missing door molding...

Don't let the dealer charge you for the fact it is lifted and you end up buying "the other guy's mistakes." I'd tell them that the lift adds zero value. Its all just springs and u-bolts, and tires, and steering parts - just the same as an OEM equipped vehicle. In the grand scheme of things - they didn't put out the money for the aftermarket lift, so they shouldn't expect to recoup the cost of those materials.

Back