• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Solienoid install

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
I am preparing to install all new solenoids in my XJ. I will be installing a new filter and gasket. The gasket I have is a rubber one. Do I need to use a gasket sealer/maker like Permatex RTV or will just the gasket be ok? Thanks.

My XJ has been skipping shifting into second gear. It shifts straight from first to third. No other issues with it. Shifts fine otherwise.

make sure the wiring to the transmission is not damaged.

i cant see how a solenoid could keep just 2nd From working

there are 2 solenoid that control shifting

first is on off
second on on
third off on
OD off off

i know when the TCU is disconnected on not powered you can manually shift in 1-2 3 D

and in 1-2 it stays in first
3 its stays in 3rd
D it stays in OD

make sure the wiring to the transmission is not damaged.

i cant see how a solenoid could keep just 2nd From working

there are 2 solenoid that control shifting

first is on off
second on on
third off on
OD off off

i know when the TCU is disconnected on not powered you can manually shift in 1-2 3 D

and in 1-2 it stays in first
3 its stays in 3rd
D it stays in OD

Reading a post from a guy that was having the same issue as I have. He replaced the #2 solenoid and it cured the problem. I will install the solenoids tomorrow or Saturday depending on weather.

Solenoids are about 50/50 for kicking codes in my experience. But I've learned never to be surprised when it comes to Jeeps and electrical issues not following rules. I just know with mine, it throws 0700 0758 and 1898 every time my one solenoid sticks. It used to be about half the time and got progressively more common to see the ses light.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OK...I finally worked up the courage to get under the XJ to work on the tranny and replace the solenoids. To get to them is quite a job. I had to remove the cross member support to be able to back the fluid pan out. My exhaust bend is just about right over the front pan bolts so it took some effort to get them in and out. Swapping out the solenoids is simple, took a couple of minutes. The result is however a resurrected second gear. It all works well now, AW4 shifting fine.

Back