• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balance Beads

As a last resort if you can't balance them any other way!

Semis use them with good results. I use them on my motorcycle and they easily increased my tire life by 50% and I don't need to pay someone to balance my wheels.

I've been using airsoft BB's for years in my Jeep tires to self balance. It works great.

I used actual BBs in the tires on my ramcharger.

Steel rims, 39.5 swampers...worked great.......it was kinda weird tho when ya stopped at a light or similar and you had the window down, you could sometimes hear the BBs hitting the rim as you slowed down.

This topic comes up from time to time and I wonder about this myself. Anybody have any thoughts about using them in a DD with just more regular street type tires?

I used to use them. I graduated to Centramatic balancers and a static balance on a HF bubble balancer and never looked back.

One thing to note- if you use active balancers inside the tire assembly, you absolutely CAN NOT ever use slime or any other tire sealant.

I used to use them, without any issues. They work great.

But I want to add tire sealant at some point, so got away from them.

I have mounted and balanced al lmy vehicles (cars, trucks, bikes) tires for 20 years. Static balance with an active balancer (centramatic) makes them smooth as silk.

Ok -- Centramatic -- Had to look it up, certainly looks promising

Where are you buying them? -- Buy them to fit the rim or tire size, exactly how do you know which ones to use?

Just some details if you don't mind

Buy them from the people that sell them.

Fit them as per the design. In other words to fit the lug pattern.

I've been using Airsoft pellets for several years and will never go back to lead weights. The pellets work great.

Last edited:
I'm running 33 12.5 15 tires. If I recall correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do) I put 8 ounces of pellets in each tire. I don't recall the pellet size, and I couldn't say how many pellets because I went by weight. Sorry.

If you search you can find charts on line that'll tell you by weight how much to use per tire for any tire size.

If you put too much in, physics takes care of it. Don't sweat it. This is not a moon shot, don't over think it.

When I did it, I took the actual lead weight amounts that were on each tire, and put 50% of that in the tire using BBs as they would be 2x as far out from the wheel center. I then added them and never looked back.

Back