• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head gasket replacement without removing manifolds?

jfxj67

NAXJA Forum User
So, sorry it's been awhile since I've chimed in..

Just determined tonight that I've got a blown head gasket. After searching the entire internet, i saw a mention here about replacing the head gasket with both the header and intake still attached.

Just wondering if anyone has done it, and if so does it actually save any time or grief?

Thanks in advance.
:worship:

i saw a mention here about replacing the head gasket with both the header and intake still attached.

Got a link to that thread?
How would you determine the cause of the failure?
How would you chase the threads?

Really all that is needed would be disconnect the downpipe and lift it all out. Probably would need a crane or someone to help. Don't really see the benefit tho as it doesn't save a lot of time for the extra hassle involved.

Really all that is needed would be disconnect the downpipe and lift it all out. Probably would need a crane or someone to help. Don't really see the benefit tho as it doesn't save a lot of time for the extra hassle involved.

I don't see where it saves you much time either, and you should replace the manifold gaskets anyway. You'll need a friend or some sort of lifting setup. A loaded head is what 75-80 lbs? Last time I did one, I used a set of pulleys hooked to an overhead rafter. Use a couple of long bolts with the heads cut off as guide pins to line everything back up during assembly.

bought a parts rig that turned into an experiment, yep you can do it. seeing as it took a about 4 hours to replace the torque tube with the revolver, if my mj needs a head gasket or new pistion I'll do it this way again and just disassemble out 9f the rig
9a7f15b0929553429fdc4a8d47e8a7f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My 2001, with a Banks header and the twin mini-cats, has manifold bolts that are difficult to get to when the engine is on the stand and are next to impossible to access when the engine is installed.
The mini-cat's flange bolts are also hard to reach, when installed.
The late model, California emission models have a lot of stuff packed into the driver's side of the engine bay. It is a lot tighter than the earlier models.

When the head was off, for a valve job and porting, I decided to try assembling the head, manifolds and mini-cats before putting the head on.
I made a simple jig to bolt thread to a bench, taking precautions not to damage the freshly surfaced deck.
Once assembled, the head was picked up, with an engine hoist, and dropped on the block, single handedly, with very little drama.
This made a difficult, tedious job a lot simpler.
It worked so well, I used the same method when doing my 1997 XJ's head.
What do I know? I'm an old guy who mostly works by himself and needs to make things easier to handle.

Thankfully I’ve never had to do a head gasket job on a jeep 4.0.

However I’ve done head gasket job on another straight 6 engine turbo and non turbo engines numerous times, I’ve lost count of how many times off the top of my head but it’s got to be 8 to 10 times, some times in vehicle and some times as a refresh or rebuild on a engine going in. After doing the job in vehicle according to the book 3-4 times I started taking short cuts, disconnect the down pipe, remove the turbo if the oil and radiator inlet and outlets were not easy to disconnect. Disassemble the intake just enough to get the fuel lines, cooling lines to the throttle body and get the wiring harness out of the way. Leaving the exhaust and most of the intake manifold in place I’d use a hoist to remove it. I’m also somebody who usually works alone. I began using these techniques after a somebody who was supposed to help me never showed. It saves a lot of time and hassle not trying to reach nearly impossible nuts and bolts.

Now the Jeep 4.0 is different much easier to work on, while not strictly necessary I could see it speeding the job up but then I had a harder time reaching the nuts for the intake/exhaust manifold to change the gasket a few months ago. People with smaller hands might find it quicker to unbolt the intake/exhaust. However the alternative method does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just take the manifolds off. its not hard.... thats so much more work to leave them on.......
I have done the head gasket 10 times now.

Trust me when I say this.
Get a set of ratcheting wrenches for the exhaust bolts.

When the head comes off it should go to the machine shop to be checked out and planed flat, so why would you want to leave the manifolds on? With the mini-cats a 15 mm swivel socket makes the flange bolts pretty easy.

Back