• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear sway for towing?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought of something. My 'new' XJ has up country but no towing package. I'd like to have the ability to tow. Should I steal the rear sway off my old XJ before I get rid of it or is it not a big deal?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Rear sway bars don't really matter.

I would not tow without my rear sway bar, until I got OME leafs to firm up the rear. I have a 2800lb boat that would really tilt the rear around without the bar. I replaced the bar and it was soo, soo much better towing. This was with a 2" lift of stock springs and a Ford Ranger add a leaf. Once I got firmer OME rear leafs, the push is still there without the bar, but no where near what is was previously. My little 1000lb jet ski doesn't do squat, you dont' even know it's there.

If you have firmer rear leafs/shocks, you should be fine. Stockish I would feel more comfortable with the bar. All it will take is one emergency maneuver you are not prepared for and it could get ugly.

My exact setup is upcountry suspension and Monroe police package shocks (because cheap and the RR sticker was blown) any mods will have to wait unfortunately

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Understood. But I have a perfectly good '99 and I've actually cleaned and painted the hardware for the rear sway because I changed the rear springs a few years ago. So I could just take it off before I sell or scrap it. Just wondering if it's worth the effort (and does anyone make a rear quick disconnect?)

Try towing with it off and see if you are comfortable with it on the other Jeep.

As far as I know, no one has made a rear disconnect, since the majority of offroaders dump it. I have a Ford sway bar I'm going to try and make disconnects for.

Sent from my LG G4 using TapaTalk

If you tow a lot or anything heavy on any curvy roads leave it in and upgrade to new bushings. I would not think of towing anything heavy without. Notice how pretty much every truck from small to large has them. Same with cars. The factory would not waste the time or money if they were useless. They only help to increase SAFE handling. Off-road they are a hindrance as they kill flex.

Been towing a 3000#(+) on my 2k now for 17yrs, all through the "Rockies" with no problem(except) for the brakes. Fixed that with WJ/KJ brakes!
No rear sway bar !!!

Try towing with it off and see if you are comfortable with it on the other Jeep.

As far as I know, no one has made a rear disconnect, since the majority of offroaders dump it. I have a Ford sway bar I'm going to try and make disconnects for.

Sent from my LG G4 using TapaTalk

I can't drive the 99 (older) as the tags are expired. I'm either going to scrap it or sell it to someone in a non emissions county when I'm done stripping it.

Back