• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Needs A Radiator

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
Just discovered this afternoon my XJ needs a radiator. Any suggestions for acquiring a good, moderately priced one? There's the usual box stores and ebay. I'm on a limited budget so cost is a factor. Thanks.

I use a CSF 3-row, all metal (copper/brass) radiator on my '91 manual trans 4.0L xj. It's not cheap, but you can install it and forget about it. It cools so well, I can cover up the left half of my grill during Fall-winter-spring. During summer, I run the whole grill open, and have *never* had any overheating ... crawling up crazy slopes, sitting in traffic, even down in the 120* deserts of Mexico.

I run a Mopar XJ mechanical fan, Mopar XJ fan clutch, and Mopar XJ thermostat.

The 3-row part number is 2671
The 2-row PN is 2670

They will both fit '91 to '01 XJs.

These are very high quality rads. If you plan on keeping your jeep for awhile, you should consider that a lot of the cheaper rads with the plastic tanks will crap out in a few years, and you'll be back to spending more time & money later.

Also ... do NOT use GM "Dex-Cool" radiator fluid in your system. It corrodes where the core is soldered into the tanks. Use the normal, old fashioned green fluid. If you can't get the green, use the yellow "universal" fluid in a pinch.

Just my 2 cents worth. Best of luck in your search!

Last edited:
I looked at the four major parts retailers and they all seem to be selling the same radiator, at least that's what the photos show. No doubt a Chinese import. So....I am concerned with some people having install fitment issues. There are some all aluminum radiators on Ebay. Some seem to be around the same price as these plastic ones. Would that be better than the plastic? The aluminum ones look like someone in shop class made it though.

Found the issue. Not the radiator. The over flow hose had a tiny pin hole on the lower side where to connects to the filler tube. Replaced tube and everything is good.

Back