• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some bushings advice

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
The old '96 XJ is at 173k miles and has never had any of the front end (or rear?) bushings replaced, so that'll be the first thing I get on here soon when the weather warms up. Never done this before so need whatever advice I can get.

What are all the locations where bushings will need replaced that have anything to do with the front end and steering? The only two I'm aware of are the tops and bottoms of the front control arms, but other than that I'm clueless.

Also, is there a good quality all inclusive bushings kit I should look out for?

Control arm bushings, I'd also replace ball and u-joints and tie rods. for the front. Energy suspension makes a kit with all the bushings for front/rear

Thanks for the parts advice and sorry for being so long getting back here..too many irons in the fire.

So far the list of parts I've been told to look at are...

- upper and lower control arm bushings
- leaf spring shackle bushings
- rear sway bar bushings
- rear sway bar link bushings
- track bar bushings at the axle
- shock bushings
- bump stops
- coil spring isolators
- engine mounts
- tranny mounts (same as transmission cross member?)
- tie rod ends
- ball joints

So, couple questions

1- First things I'll be getting on is anything that could potentially effect the steering. I believe thats gonna include upper and lower control arm bushings, sway bars, leaf spring shackle bushings, and ball joints. Does that include everything?

2- Which of these parts would it make sense to replace in one go, as in like when you have to go through one piece to get to another. I would imagine shock bushings and coil spring isolators might be replaced at the same time.

3- and does anybody have that pic of the underside of an XJ where the steering and some of the suspension components were circled in color and labeled? Kept it around for years but somehow its missing now.

Many people throw the rear sway bar in the garbage. I've never heard of anyone changing the bushings on them.

People do change the front sway bar bushings and links, usually to eliminate clunks or the links themselves break. Do yourself a favor and buy new front sway bar links because they often break trying to replace the bushings.

If the track bar is original I would probably replace it. Replacements have a different style bushing that is mostly metal with a few slivers of rubber in it.

People do change the frontal upper and lower control arm bushings. There are also bushings pressed into the axle. I prefer MOOG control arms & O'Reilly Master Pro K3128 axle bushings as they are all Clevite.

People can and do change engine and transmission mounts. The transmission mount goes between the transmission & crossmember. The crossmember itself is only changed when it is damaged from wheeling or accident. Depending on condition these are changed all the same time.

Tie rod ends & ball joints get changed all the time.

You don't hear about people change coil spring isolators much if ever. Not sure folks ever change leaf spring bushings on stock vehicles. By the time they're needed usually the entire spring packs are changed. Shackles too.

There aren't any real kits to do everything. Basically you buy individual parts at the parts store.

Another tidbit is just replace the whole control arm instead of just the bushings. The chances of you being able to replace the bushing without damaging the control arm are pretty slim. Plus the ease of installation is A LOT easier. If you don't know about it Rockauto is probably one of the better places to get your parts. Figure out what you need and save yourself some cash.

Replacing control arm bushings should be easy for anyone with some tools and mechanical knowledge. A vise and some tube cut to keep it from crushing the arm, or go energy then torch the rubber out of the middle. Use lots of the correct silicone lube when installing or they will squeek, they will eventually squeek and need to come apart for a regrease.

Front end is also mush on my jeep. Please post links of where you buy the bushing kits and also some pics and tips as you replace them. :)

Summit racing for the bushings if you want energy urethane. I use my ballpoint press and sockets to keep from crushing the arm but you don't actually replace the outer shells if I remember correctly, you just press out the bushing. You will have to regrease periodically or deal with squeeking

Back