• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 TBI 2.5 no start/crank

Pull the valve cover and see if any valve springs are damaged/broken. 0 psi makes me think open valves. Also you can check valve rockers and push rods at the same time.

The other 2 are also way below spec, 80 psi is also no good. The spec is 175 psi for the 4.0, and probably the same for 2.5 L.

But since all 4 are way below spec, it sure sounds like a bad head gasket.

Ouch that compression is not enough to start anything.

I'd think the valves could be open but wouldn't rule out played out 30 year old motor.

Head gasket could do this too but no other symptoms is unusual.

Not knowing the history of this motor I'd be tempted to pull the head, at least the valve cover to give it the once over.

I really like your 86 XJ, I'm more than a little biased toward these old XJ having the first renix is year is neat in my book, if it were me I'd try to pick up a motor to swap then rebuild the original. I've learned through experience trying to rebuild and replace can leave a car out of commission too long.

But you might pull the head to find the gasket blown for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back