• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PSC power steering pump and fitting

sartor

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all -

It's Sunday today so wanted to get info from all of you before calling PSC on Monday.

1998 Cherokee XJ

I decided to replace my stock power steering pump with PSC's SP1205C pump. (97-'06 4.0 TJ Replacement Pump w/ reservoir). This is what they recommended.

I decided to use my old stock pressure line and noticed that the O-ring looked like it had a little life left in it. (bad idea I think!). When I hooked up everything and turned the key - pffffffft power steering fluid went EVERYWHERE!

So now - the idea is to either replace the power steering pressure hose or to just find an O-ring that fits my old pressure line.

QUESTION: Is the high pressure fitting on the new PSC pump the same as on my stock pump and will it accept my stock pressure line with new O-ring, or do I need to do something about the fitting on the PSC pump??? No point in wasting time finding an O-ring that fits my old pressure line if the problem I am having is not because of the O-ring.

Any thoughts?

Replace the o-ring, always, when doing a PS pump swap. This will be your problem. I swapped in the PSC-SP1215 to replace my OEM pump and with new o-rings, had zero issues on my existing high pressure line.

Ok - so I replaced the O-ring.

When I fired it up, again, a fine mist spraying everywhere! I couldn't see where it was coming from as I was turning the key.

The fitting at the pump to the high pressure line is dry.
The fitting and hose at the return line is also dry.

Where else could this be coming from???

Could I have possibly fouled up the pump somehow when putting on the pulley?

Have someone start it while you look for the source.

Also, did you prime the pump following the instructions?

Prime the pump? I did not do that. There were no instructions.

After pulling the center coil plug so that only the starter motor would power the pump, turned the key and I noticed a significant drip coming from I think the front of the pump behind the pulley. Hard to tell exactly. (i'm assuming the fine mist in the original post was from the pulleys and belt rotating fast and spreading liquid around).

Could I have damaged the pump when I installed the old pulley? Something around the output shaft?

It's good to check up on people. Never know what crazy stuff they come up with.

PSC contact will happen tomorrow.

thanks

Last edited:
Back