• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

through the floor Q's

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
i have a couple questions about going through the floor in the rear. what size shocks are people running? 14"? 16"? 18"? what valving in the shocks is best? im running the RE 5.5 full leaf packs in the rear, and the 5.5 coils up front. some pics of your setups would be nice, i plan on getting a cage pretty soon so the upper mounts will come off the cage. i do crawling and want to be able to go fast as well... thanks guys

Fox 14".

2re31as.jpg

sweet thanks guys... hey 96jeepspeed you wanna trade your m/t spare for an a/t spare? lol i have muds and have an all terrain spare, and you have al terrains and have a mud spare.. ?

anyways, so it looks like most are using either 14s or 16s.. i take it if i wanted to use 16s the top mount would have to be higher? how much of a difference does going through the floor make? huge? or eh not that much?

thanks again guys

how much of a difference does going through the floor make? huge? or eh not that much?
it was like night and day for me. the shocks dont fade because of the larger oil capacity, they stay much cooler. my rear shocks are valved very stiff as well, its hard on the street but off road the landings are nice and smooth in the rear.

it was like night and day for me. the shocks dont fade because of the larger oil capacity, they stay much cooler. my rear shocks are valved very stiff as well, its hard on the street but off road the landings are nice and smooth in the rear.

thanks grimm.. another thing im wondering about is how people cover the holes that you cut in the floor? its my dd so dust coming in like crazy would really suck lol

some people use wetsuit material, some use cut up ATV innertubes, some (like me) just dgaf :D theres dust from all over CA in my truck, i think more comes out those holes than goes in lol... but im a windows open wheeler. when im DDing i usually roll up a couple towels or old tshirts and wrap em around the shocks then stuff em in the holes.

Just so you know go as big as you can fit/afford. The larger the shock the more oil and the better against fade (Grimm mentioned fade but not capacity). I would recommend 2.5's over 2.0's also. BIG DIFFERENCE going there.

Just so you know go as big as you can fit/afford. The larger the shock the more oil and the better against fade (Grimm mentioned fade but not capacity). I would recommend 2.5's over 2.0's also. BIG DIFFERENCE going there.

so if i find a good deal on some 18"s then i should swoop up on em? ive been lookin around all the go fast sites i can and there seem to be some pretty good deals, you just have to jump on em fast

This is exactly right... Alek, why do you think I'm going 2.5's? For what you do, my shocks would be fine, but a 2.5 through the floor would work better if you ever pushed your junk to that limit.

This is exactly right... Alek, why do you think I'm going 2.5's? For what you do, my shocks would be fine, but a 2.5 through the floor would work better if you ever pushed your junk to that limit.

well i think im going to go with whatever comes up first/what i can afford when something comes up. i am going to try and hold out for the best shocks i can find because it would probably be best to go big at first that way i dont have to change it later when i want to go faster.

Back