• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control Not Working – 1999 Cherokee

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
I've retro fitted my '99 Cherokee with cruise control, but its not working. The parts are used so I cannot say for sure if they are 100% working. Serves me right for trying to save a buck.

When I press the on off switch the dash light will turn on or off. Pressing set would seem to do nothing and so I cannot tell the condition of the resume cancel button.

I've checked for vacuum at the servo and while I don't know how to take an official reading I can put my finger over the vacuum line and it will “suck”.

I've seen other threads about checking the control buttons for resistance, but I'm not sure how to do this. I am fairly certain the buttons I have are for a '99-'01 XJ.

Checking the clock spring I can't say I know how to either. The horn works, there is no air bag light on the dash, and as I said when the on/off is presses the dash light works so I'm guessing that the clock spring is okay? If there is an actual real way to test this for sure please help me.

I'm ready to do any testing or work to figure this out, I just don't know how to test these individual parts other then pull one and try another. Any suggestions and how to would be appreciated.

You replaced the clock spring with the clock spring from the cruise control vehicle, correct?

The cable going from the servo is properly connected to the throttle body?

On 97 and later the clockspring is the same cruise or no cruise. 95 and 96 are the only years which have a clockspring that is different.

If your switch modules have AD marked on the back of them they are 99-01 resistance, if they are AA/AB/AC revisions they are 97-98 resistance.

You replaced the clock spring with the clock spring from the cruise control vehicle, correct?

The cable going from the servo is properly connected to the throttle body?

Yes, the clock spring is the one with the "extra" wire to connect the cruise control harness to. It was different then the non-cruise unit I removed.

I believe the cable is there correctly. I know there's not much to it, but its in the right square hole and connect to the throttle body.

hmmm. Appears I was blatantly wrong there! :dunce:

Just checked the parts catalog and the clock spring is in fact different. My bad.

It is however the same for all 97-01 years - i.e. any cruise control clock spring from a 97+ XJ will fit any other, and any non cruise clock spring from a 97+ will fit any other.

hmmm. Appears I was blatantly wrong there! :dunce:

Just checked the parts catalog and the clock spring is in fact different. My bad.

It is however the same for all 97-01 years - i.e. any cruise control clock spring from a 97+ XJ will fit any other, and any non cruise clock spring from a 97+ will fit any other.

Way to go Ken with the misinformation! :laugh3: I remember when BMyohn ran into this problem with his, he ended up having the wrong switches. He got the correct ones and it worked fine.

If your switch modules have AD marked on the back of them they are 99-01 resistance, if they are AA/AB/AC revisions they are 97-98 resistance.

Thank you for the information. I had not seen this tid bit before. I have two sets that I picked up with the 2nd set having "AB" on the back. Those are out of the mix for my '99 then. At least I know I can resell them for their correct application.

The 2nd pair is the pair I have been working with the whole time. They are stamped with an "AD" on the back so now I know they are good to use.

Now how to test them to verify they are in working order?

Small update:

I've used my multimeter to test for continuity through the clock spring. I tested the horn sense, both cruise connectors, and both air bag connectors. I have verified there is continuity through the wiring and out the back of the clock spring where the Cherokee’s main harness connects to the clock spring.

Were the bags blown on the jeep the clockspring came from? I could be wrong but I thought that if that was the case the clockspring is no good. I never actually did the swap myself. My rig got totaled before I could. Then I bought one with cruise! :D

Were the bags blown on the jeep the clockspring came from? I could be wrong but I thought that if that was the case the clockspring is no good. I never actually did the swap myself. My rig got totaled before I could. Then I bought one with cruise! :D

The doner did NOT have the air bags deployed. You are correct though that if they are, the clock spring is toast.

The doner did NOT have the air bags deployed. You are correct though that if they are, the clock spring is toast.

:thumbup: I haven't the foggiest then, good luck with that. :cheers:

Could you possibly have a vacuum leak? Also check your fuses for a possible bad Fuse.

If you get the light on the panel, I think it means that the clock spring and the circuit that goes to the ON switch are good and all the wiring to the PCM is also good and that the ON switch is the correct year. I would hook up the meter at the most convenient point and get readings on the other switches one at a time. A bad switch is always a possibility.
The brake switch must also work well. You should have continuity between pins 3 and 4. While driving, push the break pedal UP while pressing SET, just in case the pedal hangs up on the return stroke. (not likely)
Do you have a wiring diagram of the system?

If you get the light on the panel, I think it means that the clock spring and the circuit that goes to the ON switch are good and all the wiring to the PCM is also good and that the ON switch is the correct year. I would hook up the meter at the most convenient point and get readings on the other switches one at a time. A bad switch is always a possibility.
The brake switch must also work well. You should have continuity between pins 3 and 4. While driving, push the break pedal UP while pressing SET, just in case the pedal hangs up on the return stroke. (not likely)
Do you have a wiring diagram of the system?

I will check this and report back. Thank you.

While driving, push the break pedal UP while pressing SET, just in case the pedal hangs up on the return stroke. (not likely)

You sir, are a genius. Doing so makes the whole cruise control system work. I enjoyed it today while on the highway.

Now, how do I correct this so I don't have to hold up on the brake?

You sir, are a genius. Doing so makes the whole cruise control system work. I enjoyed it today while on the highway.

Now, how do I correct this so I don't have to hold up on the brake?

Lubing anything that moves up there might also help the pedal return and it is the easiest thing to do.
You could try to adjust the switch to the pedal.
I think it is possible to pull the plunger out and then step on the brake to make it self adjust.
I am not sure about the procedure and I don't have access to my 99 right now to check it. Perhaps somebody else is more familiar with this.

Huh, well how about that, thats a new one. Mental note taken! :D

Back