• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New leaf springs

Actually I was shocked the bolt did not snap.

Just knew I had to go the heat torch and grinder route next.

Try a BFH on the drums, hit them on the face side on the outer edge or put the tire on with the lug nuts a little loose and shift into forward and reverse to break the drum loose. Also make sure the parking brake is off, and the self adjusting adjusters are loosened.

I would leave the shackles alone but they are in bad shape. So, the hitch is hiding a nut?
The upper shackle bolt uses a captured nut, just like the front spring eye bolt.

Actually I was shocked the bolt did not snap.

Just knew I had to go the heat torch and grinder route next.

Try a BFH on the drums, hit them on the face side on the outer edge or put the tire on with the lug nuts a little loose and shift into forward and reverse to break the drum loose. Also make sure the parking brake is off, and the self adjusting adjusters are loosened.

BFH hahahahaha! I’ve been hitting them with a 8 lb maul. They are coming loose but know I need new drums because the edges cracked.

The upper shackle bolt uses a captured nut, just like the front spring eye bolt.

Thanks. I guess I won’t need both of the bolts that came with the new shackles.

One other question. Can the u bolts be tightened when the wheels are off or, should I wait until it’s all on the ground before tightening?

The bolt is stuck to the bushing and they are turning together......

So Much for my "easy" removal.....

I just changed shackles on an XJ this week. Both upper shackle bolts pulled the metal sleeve right through the bolt hole. I’ve always heard/read you don’t tighten any suspension parts under the vehicle is holding its own weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So that is why I left the upper rear MF-bolt in, LOL.

AFter 4-5 months since I started on this journey the memory gets vague LOL. Oldtimers disease. Actually I thought it was exposed on mine. But I was probably thinking of the bottom bolt

BFH hahahahaha! I’ve been hitting them with a 8 lb maul. They are coming loose but know I need new drums because the edges cracked.

Thanks. I guess I won’t need both of the bolts that came with the new shackles.

One other question. Can the u bolts be tightened when the wheels are off or, should I wait until it’s all on the ground before tightening?

I was told not to torque the spring bolts till the tires are on and the wheels are on the ground, vehicle weight on the bolts, but be damn sure to grease or never seize lube the bolt shafts before installing them.

I would assume the u-bolts should be tight before lowering everything, then re-torqued while on the ground, but I am not sure.

The bolt is stuck to the bushing and they are turning together......

So Much for my "easy" removal.....

Yep, that plus the Harvey flood added 3 months to my 2 week project. Took forever to cut and grind the spring off, then the steel outer shell of the bushing, then the rubber, then the inner steel sleeve, then to heat the bare bolt at the nut/thread side about 56 times and beat on it with 2000 ft-lb 3/4 electric truck/forklift style impact for 2 hours to get it loose and get the bolt out.

I had an easier time extracting a bust bolt from a diesel engine block while still in the jeep with no room years ago. had to custom built hand press tool for the drill, LOL

I would assume the u-bolts should be tight before lowering everything, then re-torqued while on the ground, but I am not sure.
I never thought about the U-bolt question. I always had the axle jacked up enough to put some of the vehicle weight on the spring. Since that assembly point remains static, I'm OK with the procedure. Maybe I'm very lucky to not have anything come loose the half dozen times I have done this.

I never thought about the U-bolt question. I always had the axle jacked up enough to put some of the vehicle weight on the spring. Since that assembly point remains static, I'm OK with the procedure. Maybe I'm very lucky to not have anything come loose the half dozen times I have done this.

I assume you attached the leaf spring to the jeep frame first, then the u-bolts to the axle?

I assume you attached the leaf spring to the jeep frame first, then the u-bolts to the axle?
Correct!

As stated, don't tighten the spring eye or shackle bolts until the Jeep is on the ground and at it's static ride height. I'll even jump my fat butt up on the bumper, to jounce the springs before tightening those fasteners.

The u-bolts don't matter, because they will come loose and need to be retorqued at least once, and maybe twice.

The u-bolts don't matter, because they will come loose and need to be retorqued at least once, and maybe twice.

I'm betting that's the reason I had very little difficulty removing them. It took VERY little pressure to break them.

I always torque u bolts with the vehicle weight on them. Just put the rear axle on jack stands and torque. If the springs have any archto them those little u bolts won't clamp right if done with the axle hanging. And then retorque later same way.

I always torque u bolts with the vehicle weight on them. Just put the rear axle on jack stands and torque. If the springs have any archto them those little u bolts won't clamp right if done with the axle hanging. And then retorque later same way.

That's exactly the way mine is sitting.

Welp, that was a WHOLE lot easier than I though it was going to be.... Driver's side was easier than the passenger.....

:party::D

23jtsq8

y6r3r9

I do NOT understand why my photo url’s Won’t work but, y’all know what new leafs look like anyway ��

5 pages for stock leaf replacement? Are you done yet? ;)

Back