• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KOH 2012

It's on! I need to work out the details but I think I will head down Thurs and will come back Sunday.

Not sure about sleeping arrangements. Maybe rent an RV or tent trailer? I want to bring my jeep to get around so if we took an RV I would trailer the jeep.

Right now I am meeting a college buddy from San Diego and Mike, from Sacramento, said he was up for it.

Let me know if there is any other interest to catch a ride if there is enough interest maybe the RV deal would be worth it?

i am thinking about going. i assume there is tons of rv parking?
would i need to tow the xj to get from the parking area to the viewing areas?
never been there before, but it sounds like a fun trip.

It is a huge wide open area for parking/rvs. I am not sure how it is set up but I would imagine a 4x4 will be very nice to get to good viewing areas on the course.

I will have my jeep and an extra seat for you Tim if you don't want to tow.

Josh

can you school me on:
where is it?
what to see & do?
what days to watch?
where the action is?
whats the deal?
i don't know anything about koh, but is sounds cool.

Go south on 101, east on 152, south on 5, east on 46, south on 99 till Bakersfield.
From Bakersfield go east on Hwy 58 to I15 at Barstow.
LVSign.jpg

Exit I15 at Barstow Rd/Hwy 247, go roughly 30 miles to the stop sign(last chance to get gas), turn left staying on Hwy 247, go 22 miles to Boone Rd (large brown sign on the right), turn left down Boone Rd, drive roughly 4 miles to the Means lakebed.

Boon Road exit:
BoonRoadSign.jpg

Means Lake is HUGE, but it will be packed with RV's, trucks and tents:
DSC_0017.jpg

With over 180,000 acres JV is HUGE, it is almost twice as big as on this map:
MCAGCCStudyArea02.jpg

You will want to play in the area of the smaller map:
MCAGCCStudyArea03.jpg

can you school me on:
where is it?
what to see & do?
what days to watch?
where the action is?
whats the deal?
i don't know anything about koh, but is sounds cool.

This will be my first time down to JV and KOH. I am trying to get it all figured out soon but you are more than welcome to meet up with me down I-5 to caravan.

I want to run a trail or two or Saturday too!

Josh

Thanks for the link Rob, you going to be there?

Hey Dave, or others

What trails would you suggest for me to run? I want to run at least one while I am there. Maybe Bullfrog not sure where it is but I think it is pretty far from the course?
I want to run something on Saturday after the race.

33's locked front lds rear, winch, and only 10% dumbass. I planed to keep the jeep looing clean but that plan is going to hell, I guess that's the 10% dumbass.

Last edited:
I just read that Paul Jr. From Orange County choppers is co driving in KOH... well sitting passenger.

Tack Hammer is VERY easy, but you can find some really dumb lines and get as ugly as you like, but it is very flat so the Pucker factor is almost none.
Tack:
JV06_0610.jpg

Lower Big Johnson is easy but still fun, and Upper Big Johnson is full body but very steep and might be some work with the LDS.
Lower BJ:
GF2010_0141.jpg

Upper BJ:
GF2010_0171.jpg

Bolderdash a the canyon near Claw hammer and Big Johnson, it is not bad but might be work there is one good waterfall that may take some time/body/paint.

Claw Hammer is next, it is fun and full body friendly only one real climb and the last time I was there it did not look like much at all. The loose rocks and sand on steep hills can be a little tricky.
Claw Hammer:
GF2010_0688.jpg

Claw's rocks can jump out at you:
GF2010_0590.jpg

Maybe Aftershock but it has one section that gets most front passenger turn lights, and I have never made it up with out pulling the string.
Aftershock:
JV06_0075.jpg

There is the Fissure Mountain Trail, Not a "Real" Hammers trail but it has some great views and you get some great views from the top of the big hill.
Driving over the big hill:
GF2010_0452.jpg

GF2010_0468.jpg

GF2010_0478.jpg

Also there will be a LOT of people out on the lake bed, some will want to be up all night, loud music, fireworks, Sobe Bombs etc. etc. I would not want to try to sleep in a tent around all the noise.

It is a LONG drive!
JV06_0950.jpg

if i go i'll be taking the mobile command center.
there is a slight chance i may be able to make room for a couple of guests if they want to pay for fuel & food & don't mind sharing space with my rottweiler Jax, & they do not smoke...at all.
DSCN5067_edited.jpg

You plan on leaving Thursday?? Wednesday would honestly be ideal. Last year I got down Friday at 1 (left Reno at 2am). We just hung out at backdoor. Race day was Saturday and we hung out at backdoor again and got a free buggy ride to rescue the t-fab buggy (awesome!). Then left Sunday. I wish I had just one more day.

I may take you up on that though. Your driving the XJ down?

KOH 2009, David T roll on back door:
DSC_0077.jpg

Back when you could still drive all over and check out the race from other areas:
DSC_0851.jpg

Team NAXJA helping out Randys rig, he was close to winning it all that year:
DSC_0955.jpg

Free Pancakes Rocked:
DSC_0171.jpg

Richard line'in up:
DSC_0242.jpg

Off and running:
DSC_0459.jpg

Look my ass made it on the DVD:
Hammers-2.jpg

Back