NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 12th, 2017, 11:10
NAXJA Forum User

drive train noise.

so im on the hunt for finding drive train noise.

currently i have replaced the wheel joints and rear drive shaft joints. (Replaced because i didn't know the condition and could not grease them + front ones are toast.)

noise still seems to be there. it also seems to have a peak noise at 35mph. and then it doesn't get much louder after that. but road noise might muffle it.

it has the np242 which i changed out the input gear on but did not rebuild it. its hard to tell where the noise is coming from.

i still have the vacuum controlled front axle but had set the shift fork to lock it all the time. i recently unlocked it to check if it was the front driveshaft or output on the transfer case.

noise is still there if coasting in neutral.

im going to be swapping out the front wheel hubs also. not sure if i should check anything else while im down there.

1988 Cherokee 4.0 NP242
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:38
NAXJA Member

Re: drive train noise.

Diff bearing?
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:41
NAXJA Forum User

how hard is it to do a diff bearing?
Old October 12th, 2017, 17:16
NAXJA Forum User

I had a noise like that. I replaced all 7 u-joints, both unit bearings, had new carrier bearings & shaft seals installed on front & rear axles along with new pinion bearings, crush sleeves & seals and gear contact/lash set up, and replaced my np242 with a NOS unit. Still had the noise. Called it good & turned up the radio.
Old October 12th, 2017, 17:37
NAXJA Forum User

I ignored it for about a year. It's getting worse now. I'm going to attempt to lift the Jeep and see where the noise is coming from.
Old October 12th, 2017, 18:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90xj06 View Post
how hard is it to do a diff bearing?
If he's talking about the bearings the axleshafts ride on, challenging, but do-able for a DIYer. Pinion bearings are a whole other can of worms..
Old October 12th, 2017, 18:26
NAXJA Member

Yea I'm thinking a carrier bearing. It must be pressed on and off. They're not too bad for a really competent do it yourself, but yes pinion bearings require more know how. And usually if a carrier bearing is bad the pinion bearings aren't far behind.

What kind of noise is it? Does it change if you turn left to right? Low rumble, grind or chirp?
Old October 12th, 2017, 20:02
Mostly Harmless

I am on the hunt for a drivetrain noise too.

Both axles have been gone through, all the way to pulling out the carriers and checking all bearings.

I swapped tires just to eliminate that variable.

Next step is T-case. I am thinking it may be the range fork. Probably tear into the case this weekend.
Old October 12th, 2017, 20:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I am on the hunt for a drivetrain noise too.

Both axles have been gone through, all the way to pulling out the carriers and checking all bearings.

I swapped tires just to eliminate that variable.

Next step is T-case. I am thinking it may be the range fork. Probably tear into the case this weekend.
Which case are you running? I saved my 242, just picked up a 2WD that Iím converting to 4wd. Got a transmission on the way and I found a 1996 high pinion D30 in the junkyard that Iím going to pull this weekend if itís still there. My 242 had about 130,000 miles on it, I had just put a new chain in it.
Old October 12th, 2017, 21:57
Mostly Harmless

NP231.

I am doing an SYE conversion along with the overhaul.

I think I have all the pieces. Even a new range fork since that is my number one suspect.
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:27
NAXJA Forum User

My noise does not seem to change with turning. It's more of a low rumble being the loudest at 35. Does not seem to change when switching from accelerating to coasting. And I can almost feel it in the floor. Could the speedometer cable do this? It's pretty jumpy until it hits 35. And it's rubbing on the floor.
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:45
Mostly Harmless

That is an interesting thought.

It should be easy enough to disconnect it from the T-case, zip tie it out of the way and go for a spin around the block.

While you are at it, might be a good idea to lubricate that cable. I am guessing you haven't done so, and probably no one else has either. I think graphite is the best way to go, and you should probably work from the top end for that purpose.
Old October 14th, 2017, 14:39
NAXJA Forum User

it was not the speedometer cable. infact the cable itself was in great shape and spun very easily. i wonder if the short cable from the speed sensor or the cluster itself needs lube.

i think i did narrow it down to the T-Case. https://photos.app.goo.gl/J8wgclJRxYiDmINd2

it makes that rattling noise in every gear but neutral. i really dont want to have to pull this again.
Old October 17th, 2017, 07:24
NAXJA Forum User

So the noise seemed to have gotten worse. I recently changed diff fluid but I didn't give it a great lookover. But there was no shavings and the teeth looked good. Is there a way to check the carrier bearings by just spinning the wheel? I'm going to attempt to get all 4 wheels off the ground so I can look for the sound. But one of my jack stands seemed to have walked away.
Old October 18th, 2017, 06:50
NAXJA Forum User

Can someone confirm this for me.
1.) when the front axle disconnect is not engaged the carrier does not spin? just the spider gears?

2.) the axle shafts do not have bearings on them except on the wheel side?

3.) the intermediate shaft has a bearing in the shift fork housing on the drivers side. and just a seal on the passengers side?

so theoretically if a bearing noise is not coming from a wheel bearing while the shift fork is disengaged then the only other source for noise would be that bearing at the shift fork. thus eliminating the carrier bearings and pinion bearing. for sources of noise?

just trying to logically narrow down the sources of my noise before i go digging around and make it worse.