• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crown Vic E-brake issues.

wyrdvans

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having issues getting the parking brake adjusted on my D44 with crown vic disks. I first adjusted the parking brake until it was dragging slightly when trying to turn the wheels. Then I adjusted the cable tension with the handle pulled a few clicks. After that I hopped in, disengaged the clutch and tried to stop with the parking brake. On the first pull it was definately engaging, but the second pull felt like the cable was stretching. Kind of hard to believe but maybe this is caused by the loops I made in the cable to connect up with the parking brake actuator...btw, will this pass inspection?

Any thoughts on the adjustment issue?

Did you compress the calipers back onto the disk before you tensioned the cables? Ususlly you will need to pump the brakes a couple of times on automatic adjusting calipers before it really makes contact with the rotor.. otherwise you may just be spinning your wheels.
hee hee...

Brian Carpenter said:
Did you compress the calipers back onto the disk before you tensioned the cables? Ususlly you will need to pump the brakes a couple of times on automatic adjusting calipers before it really makes contact with the rotor.. otherwise you may just be spinning your wheels.
hee hee...

The regular brakes work great. The parking brake is seperate from the calipers(mini drum in the rotor hat). I'm guessing I just have to keep cranking down the cable adjustment.

i've just swapped in some crown vic disc and didn't want to rig the e-brake with cable, so working at a machine shop i'm figuring to make a conversion bracket to use with the stock (xj) cables with the crown vic e-brake. it will be kept simple and at low cost. once i figure everything out i'm going to start producing them and selling. i will keep all informed. i just wanted to let people know that a solution to the crown vic e-brake problem is on its way.

I fixed my e-brake issues. Turns out one of the cables was binding, it was my old one that the outer plastic had melted on from hitting the exhaust. So once that was replaced, the e-brakes worked fine. I also decided to remove the whole spring on the cable since the e-brake springs do a good job of returning the cable when the brake is released. So far I haven't had any problems with the cable comming loose from the e-brake.

The setup also passed Pennsylvania(PA) state inspection with the loops on the brake end of the cable.

Not surprised it passed inspection - mine have passed for a few years with cable clamps on them.

Keep the e-brake hardware clean - they don't return as well after they're full of muck - I left some of the spring on the end of the cables to assist the ebrake hardware.

Back