• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble (yes ive searched....alot)

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
i have a 97 cherokee with a 6.5" lift and drop brackets from rubicon express. im running 36x12.50 Tsl's (non radial). on its maiden voyage i had death wobble every time i hit 30 mph. so i had an alignment. now i have it at about 40 mph. so i had the tires balanced. each tire took AT LEAST 28 ounces EACH!! but im still getting the wobble at 40 mph. the alignment shop went through and checked everything under the front end and they said nothing was worn out. everything is tight under there. the guy that balanced my tires did say that "they werent round". the wobble isnt initiated by bumps....it has something to do with speed. everything ive searched says trackbar is loose, or alignment is wrong, or tires are out of balance. i need more suggestions!!! this is pissing me off!!

edit: Also, i dont have a steering stabilizer but from what ive read, a steering stabilizer wont prevent death wobble will it

Last edited:
hologram said:
Have you checked the stabilizer shock? That was all that was wrong for me. Just a thought.

olivedrabcj7 said:
Also, i dont have a steering stabilizer but from what ive read, a steering stabilizer wont prevent death wobble will it

A steering stabilizer will NOT cause or solve DW...it will only cover it up.

Rev

well if covering it up means my jeep wont slam my steering wheel from lock to lock when i hit 40 mph then it sounds like i need to get a new one!!

olivedrabcj7 said:
well if covering it up means my jeep wont slam my steering wheel from lock to lock when i hit 40 mph then it sounds like i need to get a new one!!

:laugh3: Mine was not at a certain speed, Just when I hit bumps at over 40mph.
and it helped me not to kill everyone on the freeway at 70 mph, trying to get off the road.

Last edited:
well i sold off my stock tires and wheels otherwise id put them on and run down the road looking like a monster truck fresh out of the trailer. i read something about how coil sprung suspensions have a resonant frequency they hit which can cause the wobble. this sounds pretty close to me because i can tell when its about to happen. i get the slightest shimmy in the wheel then as i start braking no matter what i do it gets worse and worse until i am holding the wheel for my life trying not to hit other cars until it stops when i get to a creep...

i just wonder if the steering stabilizer would keep that resonant frequency higher and or stop death wobble before it has a chance to start.

im going to hook up the stabilizer and if that doesnt help ill be looking for some 35" BFG's or MTR's to run on the street.

if anybody has any experiences like im describing please post up!!!

At 6.5" of lift your steering angles and Panhard angles are very bad. Get a Tera or other knuckle with a raised draglink position and adjust your Panhard mount accordingly and you will fix your problem.

CRASH

olivedrabcj7 said:
i have a 97 cherokee with a 6.5" lift and drop brackets from rubicon express. im running 36x12.50 Tsl's (non radial). on its maiden voyage i had death wobble every time i hit 30 mph. so i had an alignment. now i have it at about 40 mph. so i had the tires balanced. each tire took AT LEAST 28 ounces EACH!! but im still getting the wobble at 40 mph. the alignment shop went through and checked everything under the front end and they said nothing was worn out. everything is tight under there. the guy that balanced my tires did say that "they werent round". the wobble isnt initiated by bumps....it has something to do with speed. everything ive searched says trackbar is loose, or alignment is wrong, or tires are out of balance. i need more suggestions!!! this is pissing me off!!

edit: Also, i dont have a steering stabilizer but from what ive read, a steering stabilizer wont prevent death wobble will it

well the steering stabilizer didnt help anything. ive determined its my tires. they seem to be "flat spotted" and im 99% positive thats whats setting off the death wobble. granted...the stabilizer DID help control it once it started.
im gonna go looking for some 35" muds locally. maybe i can trade my swampers for some good shape used mudders.

Back