• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to figure out how my 8.8 got toasted

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the weird thing, it was FINE until my rear driveshaft u-joint snapped, which bent my transfercase output shaft, cracked the bellhousing on my tranny.

Now the 8.8 is toast, (i am opening it up today to see how bad) and i cant help but think that i chipped a tooth or broke a tooth when that damn u-joint snapped. the 8.8 was perfect before that

could this happen? could a u-joint failure cause the ring and/or pinion to be damaged?

the u-joint that broke was the one closest to the 8.8 input yoke

anyone have 8.8 4.10 gears?

okay...how did you break it and do you have video?! That seems pretty catastrophic.

When the u-joint broke it transferred alot of energy into the pinion gear. This has been known to break ring or pinion gear teeth. It also puts a huge radial load on the pinion bearings and could possibly have bent the pinion gear. It's likely the housing is O.K. but it sounds like it's time for a rebuild of the gears/bearings.

My guess is the 8.8 broke 1st, locked up and cracked the bellhousing before the u-joint snapped. Lets see some pics once toy open it up.

I'm not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg, but I would put money on the 8.8 blowing up first and taking out the rest.

no, the u-joint snapped, now the 8.8 is noisy as hell....some serious grinding going on. the u-joint was very bad, clicking and knocking for a long time before it broke....obviously my fault for not replacing it sooner

the 8.8 still drives, i think it just chipped a tooth...i drove it last night and today, it just makes grinding sounds wen i let off the gas

sounds like a good reason to go to 4.88

I wonder if it might have somehow damaged the trac-loc.

no, the u-joint snapped, now the 8.8 is noisy as hell....some serious grinding going on. the u-joint was very bad, clicking and knocking for a long time before it broke....obviously my fault for not replacing it sooner

the 8.8 still drives, i think it just chipped a tooth...i drove it last night and today, it just makes grinding sounds wen i let off the gas

Count the teeth, bet there are 2 or 3 missing, but they don't go far.

When the u-joint broke it transferred alot of energy into the pinion gear. This has been known to break ring or pinion gear teeth. It also puts a huge radial load on the pinion bearings and could possibly have bent the pinion gear. It's likely the housing is O.K. but it sounds like it's time for a rebuild of the gears/bearings.
X2, same thing that happens when you break a axle shaft.

ill be opening it up this weekend to see what the damage is

whats the crush sleeve? thats related to the pinion bearing somehow right? sorry i am unfamiliar with gears

Its the spacer between the front and rear pinion bearings.Its used to set the bearing pre-load.

Back