• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 - To Swap Or Not To Swap?

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have a kind of dilemma. The D30 in my wrecked 1992 XJ was rebuilt some years ago, regeared to 4.56 with Curry steering (broken tie rod), Eaton E-locker & RCV inner axles. I think the whole brake setup is fairly "new" meaning that they have hardly any wear since I didn't drive the XJ much.

I now have a bone stock '99 XJ and am looking to swap over pretty much everything below the floorboards from the '92 to the '99. I haven't seen any issues with the '99 up front except it feels kind of "floaty" on-road. This could simply mean that XJ handling just doesn't feel as tight as my Durango which is my DD. Could be I just need to get used to the XJ again and there's nothing even wrong. Given that the '99 D30s have bigger U-joints, should I have the upgrades swapped over from the old D30 to the new, or should I just have them swap the entire built unit as is?

What's the best/smartest thing to do? What would you do?

I'd just swap it over and call it good. Worry about stuff when/if it breaks.

swap the 92 axle into the 99 as a whole.

you've already got RCVs which are stronger than the stock 99 stuff.

swap axle. done all you can to that axle, move it over and use it.

Back