• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal issues switch or flasher?

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Of course I searched, but didn't find anyone with this issue specifically with a jeep that may share the same parts as my 99 xj. For a couple weeks, my turn signals have been acting up. They switch on and off fine and all bulbs work, but after sitting at a stop light for maybe 5-10 seconds, they turn off by themselves(left and right do this). I flip the switch back up and back down to turn it back on, and repeat. This can happen up to 3 or 4 times at a longer light. So I'm wondering if it's the actual switch or the flasher unit itself. Something else I noticed probably over the past year is that when using the left signal, the switch sometimes feels a little "crunchy" is the best way to describe it. When pushing it down to turn it on, it seems like (only sometimes though), there are too many clicks...not a smooth switch motion. If it wasn't for the mechanical switch stuff going on, I'd say almost 100% it's turning off because of the flasher unit, but I don't want to start throwing parts at it if anyone can help pinpoint it with the info I provided. Thanks for any thoughts.

My 99 would quit working or get erratic signals.the flasher would aslo buzz sometimes. Cycling the switch sometimes made them work again. I ordered one off Amazon for like $10, problem solved. I get lazy sometimes and felt like throwing a $10 part at is was ok with me.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I figured it was likely the flasher so I'll prob just throw one in it. Is there just one or is there a separate for the hazard lights? I checked on amazon the other day but couldn't find a clear answer as to what might fit but I think it's just a cheap relay. It's always irritating to see on amazon for about $8 then check local and they want 15-20. If I could find local for about 10 it would already be swapped out.

NEVERMIND the hazard thing...I see it listed as taking care of both so there is just 1.

Last edited:
in the renix era there are 2 and i think maybe up until 96. as far as i could tell on the ones with 2 you could swap them around.

Every issue I have ever had with a light on my xj was the actual mount for the bulb. (the bit the bulb slots into.)
Cut them off and replace them with new ones.
hope this helps

Back