• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No-Slip up front? Good idea/bad idea?

Amund2

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Powertrax No-Slip in my rear axle and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm dreaming of an ARB in front, but I can't ever seem to manage to save up to it, being a student and all. But now I found that a No-Slip in front is quite cheap, I've heard someone running one in front and saying it's not that bad. What do you all think, anyone who's tried it, or having good theories?

1986 XJ front D30 vacuum disco, rear D35 No-Slip, 31" MT/R, 4,11:1 gears, 1993 4,0 HO/AW4/NP231, OME springs.

More specific questions:
How does it work in 2wd, when the locker is driving the shaft and pinion, will it bang and judder and be feelable when steering from one side to the other at high speeds? I thought I could unlock the vacuum disco to let only the left wheel drive the diff, or could that leave the locker ratcheting on the left wheel keeping the locker, pinion, driveshaft and right shaft still, only to suddenly lock at 60 mph blowing it all to pieces?

I know it will affect my steering, but I don't know how bad. I also don't know how much stress will constantly be on the driveline, as the front and rear will fight. Will it break my u-joints right away? I have to specify that what you U.S. wheelers say works and don't work in axles really don't apply to us here in Norway, we have no slicrock, only sand, mud, earth, snow etc, mostly slippy terrain. I'm also easy on the gas in low range, espescially in grippy terrain (if any).

Let me hear what you think.

Although my experience is strictly second hand, the no-slip should not engage when you are in 2wd. And should drive as though it is unlocked. When I was riding in the passenger seat, did'nt feel like it was tearing up the pavement, and was virtually quiet... Except for the loud exhaust. :)

Correct me If I'm wrong.. And I might be!

do you mean no-slip or lock right, both made by the same company.. no slip for the front is around 400$ and lock right around 200$. i wouldnt consider a no-slip as quite cheap.

but any way, which ever on you get should not be noticable on the street with the 231 and a vacuum disco.

I am talking about a No-Slip. I suppose it will be invisible in 2wd, but it's still one front wheel driving the driveshaft, and it will change sides when turning. But, I am mostly worried about how it behaves in 4wd, in hi it's quick to flip between 2 and 4wd, but when I'm in low it's not that simple.

Now I'll search... :doh: sorry :)

I'm running a Detroit up front, it is invisible in 2wd. You feel it in 4wd but it's not that bad. Define high-speed. I've run it on dirt roads going 40mph or so and haven't had a problem. Doesn't matter if it's a Detroit, Lock-Right, No-Slip, Aussie, etc. etc. They all work on the same basic principles so it's all relevant as long as we're talking automatic lockers, not selectables or spools.

Auto lockers only STAY locked when torque is applied. The jerking grabbing feeling while turning will only be there when in 4wd. It comes from the torque trying to keep the locker locked and the wheels trying to unlock it while turning. It will unlock effortlessly while in 2wd.

I tried searching the posts of Safari Ary, but found nothing about no-slips... :bawl: If you find anything, please let me know (or if someone can sum up the story for me that would be great)

The reason I want a No-Slip instead of the others is that I have one in the rear and I'm extremely happy with it, and I'm thinking the synchro rings could do more good in the front than in the rear. I don't trust lockrights after all I've read through the years, but the Aussie sounds nice, even if it doesn't have the synchro-stuff.. and it's a LOT cheaper, almost 1/3 according to my calculations. I found it for sale for D30 at it's homepage, but do you know if they are delivering? I've heard about delays and delays, but I'm not sure that goes for all their models or just for some axles.

Amund2 said:
I have a Powertrax No-Slip in my rear axle and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm dreaming of an ARB in front, but I can't ever seem to manage to save up to it, being a student and all. But now I found that a No-Slip in front is quite cheap, I've heard someone running one in front and saying it's not that bad. What do you all think, anyone who's tried it, or having good theories?

Let me hear what you think.

IMHO go with the No-Slip. You won't be disappointed

Ordered an Aussie today. Cost about 2/3 of the NoSlip. Do you know if they are having problems delivering, or is that just the toyota stuff? I know a guy who gave up waiting for his Aussie, bought something else instead.

ChuckD said:
Do you actually have a no-slip in your D30?

Do you actually have one in your D30?

He was asking for ideas and input. Thats what I gave.

My XJ is a '91 so it does not have the disconnect axle. I have a NoSlip up front with a Detroit in back. It bangs softly while making a slow full steering wheel lock 180 turn in a parking lot. Other then this, it's seems fully transparent when in 2WD. The one thing I notice in 4WD is that the Jeep tends to push straight "slightly" more then it used to when the front diff was open. However, I am an easy driver to begin with. If you are heavy on the gas all the time, you may find reason not to like a locker.

I have a friend with a LockRight in front of his YJ (disconnect axle). He says his steering will pull to the left slightly for the first 1/2 mile or so after it has been sitting in sub zero temps over night (stiff oil). Makes sense because the LockRight will spin the carrier all the time using the left wheel since the disco is on the right. The NoSlip is the same thing as a LockRight with sychronizers (I've used a LockRight in back). The function is the same with both except that the NoSlip lines up the teeth before meshing, resulting in less banging. The LockRight and NoSlip are always locked until one wheel spin faster then the other. This is stated in PowerTrax's owners manual and you can see this if you watch how they with the diff cover off. So with one axle disconnected there is nothing to unlock the locker, this is why the carrier will spin all the time.

I hope this helps!

i run a no slip both front and rear. d30/8.25. non disco on the front.

I love having the no slips. the one in the front is totally transparent in 2wd.
in the rain, I still leave it in 2wd cause I like drifting the rear around turns. when i get on the trail and finally throw it in 4wd its flawless. nothing to worry about engaging and disengaging. just point the jeep an shoot...
but then again, I am in southern california. it might behave different in the snow, ice, slick.

for the times I tried 4wd in the rain, i didn't like it and went back to 2wd/drifting.
if your rear d-shaft is out and you want to drive in front wheel drive only...don't, i could get into the mechanix of the no-slip opporating principals but the keep it simple, squirly is an understatment.

comparing the no-slip in the front to the lockrite/aussie/quicklock.
the no-slip is very quiet due to its oporatiing principals while the other 3 "ratchet".

I'd say go with what you trust(as long as it will work well) personally I trust my lockrite a lot and would definately think about putting on in my front dana30 if I wasn't moving out and starting school. I have one in my dana35 right now and ran f/r on a fullsize cherokee with 35" tires and they were awsome.

Back