• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AA SYE needle bearing question

PWRDrill

NAXJA Forum User
I have the older style NP231, and I have the transfer case apart. My question is in removing the needle bearings (according to the instructions). There are two sets of needle bearings inside of the main sprocket and I assume these are to be removed along with the metal sleeve that contains them? lt then be metal on metal with the sprocket and the shaft. It seems that if I remove the needle bearings and the sleeve that their in, there might be a little play between the sprocket and the shaft as well. Is this normal or am I missing something?

I searched the internet and the forums and have yet to find a good answer, please help.

Kevin

Yes.

Remove the cage with the needles in side them. I use a socket with a press to remove them but tapping with a hammer should work too.

Yes, Shaft on sproket will be ok in this situation, it is designed for that. The newer cases don't even have the bearings to begin with.

mark

PWRDrill said:
I have the older style NP231, and I have the transfer case apart. My question is in removing the needle bearings (according to the instructions). There are two sets of needle bearings inside of the main sprocket and I assume these are to be removed along with the metal sleeve that contains them? lt then be metal on metal with the sprocket and the shaft. It seems that if I remove the needle bearings and the sleeve that their in, there might be a little play between the sprocket and the shaft as well. Is this normal or am I missing something?

I searched the internet and the forums and have yet to find a good answer, please help.

Kevin

Wow, I'm glad you could read that. I just re-read what I wrote, and realize I sounded like a 5th grader. Thanks again Mark

Back