• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine oil

10w-30 is the oil to use.You have a truck engine,Not a sewing machine....

Yes, 10W30. 5W30 is for colder climates or times of the year. (For example, if you expect temperatures to drop below freezing and not get above say 50 or 60 F/10 or 15 C)

5w-30 or 10w-40 is OK. If temperatures are higher, use 10w-40. Synthetic is not necessary for such an old engine as the Cherokee has may not provide any benefits to justify the extra cost.

My 1998 has 280,000+ miles and most of those miles used regular non-synthetic oil.

I would agree with jeep noob on this. But if highly recommend synthetic. Synthetic goes where other oils don't and does a better job at lubricating. Regular oil won't harm the engine but you can only benefit with less wear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Synthetic goes where other oils don't ...

Mostly on the garage floor is where it goes.

High mileage engines tend to leak synthetic oils at a faster rate than organic oils. Not to mention, the Jeep 4.0L is based upon a 1960's design and will last many hundreds of thousands of miles with standard organic engine oils, thus the extra cost of synthetic oil really provides no additional benefits in relation to the extra costs. The one exception for synthetic oils is in extreme below freezing cold weather, a synthetic or semi synthetic oil will aid in starting, and cold lubrication.

Back