• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unicorn Boogers????

metaldemon7

NAXJA Forum User
I hear people here talking about their AW4 transmissions slipping all the time:bawl:. I was just going through my Jan JP magazine, and on page 30 in the cheap fixes article, they talk about Lucas Stop Slip transmission fix. They say they put it in two AW4s. One they sold, and the other has 40,000 miles on it since they put it in. They say that one is still trucking. They also say that maybe it is made of Unicorn Boogers:confused1. I don't like additives as a general rule, but if it works for a while. I guess you just have to know there is a rebuild in your future.

I have no experience with LUCAS' "stop slip" but I use all of their other products and have had good luck. They have the best gear lube in the business IMHO

Slipping is normally caused by low fluid pressures. Low pressure is commonly caused by old hardened seals that don't hold the pressure.

Lacquer thinner can be used to soften rubber seals in motors and transmissions and it or a close cousin is at the heart of most stop leak/stop slip additives.

I have put a cup of lacquer thinner in at least a dozen transmissions over the years. It worked probably half the time. It isn't a permanent fix, but it can give you several more years and the cost is minimal.

In a motor, I use a cup of ATF and a cup of Lacquer Thinner. Run it for a few days before you change your oil. It will really break the crud loose in the engine.

This isn't newfangled tech. I learned it from my grandfather in the late 50's.

You are 100% right. Most of this new stuff is just relabeled old stuff. Most of your engine cleaners do smell like kerosene. If it gives someone a little time till they can afford a real fix then it is a good thing. Right now I am living with either a wrist pin, or bad skirt. I hope it can make it two weeks till I have vacation. That way I can give it to my mechanic to replace the motor. I used to do that stuff myself, but I just don't feel like it any more.

Last edited:
Slipping is normally caused by low fluid pressures. Low pressure is commonly caused by old hardened seals that don't hold the pressure.

Lacquer thinner can be used to soften rubber seals in motors and transmissions and it or a close cousin is at the heart of most stop leak/stop slip additives.

I have put a cup of lacquer thinner in at least a dozen transmissions over the years. It worked probably half the time. It isn't a permanent fix, but it can give you several more years and the cost is minimal.

In a motor, I use a cup of ATF and a cup of Lacquer Thinner. Run it for a few days before you change your oil. It will really break the crud loose in the engine.

This isn't newfangled tech. I learned it from my grandfather in the late 50's.

oh man this is good advice! I have a 94 ZJ that has been run out of oil a couple times, yet still runs (well it has some electrical issues at the moment). I feel like information like this is slowly going away......

Oh and I have had awesome luck with sea foam "trans Tune". I overheated my AW4 at rausch and ever since it would stall out in reverse. I think it was some varnish clogging the valves. I flushed it once with cheap ATF, flushed it again 5,000 miles later with cheap ATF + Trans tune, then about 3,000 miles later changed the filter and flushed it with Royal Purple ATF and it has been going strong ever since.

I am trying it in my '96 project but will be a while before I decide if it makes a difference. I did figure out why they called it "boogers" though. The stuff is pretty thick and takes a looong while to get it all to go down the dipstick tube, especially when it was the coldest day of the season so far.

I am trying it in my '96 project but will be a while before I decide if it makes a difference. I did figure out why they called it "boogers" though. The stuff is pretty thick and takes a looong while to get it all to go down the dipstick tube, especially when it was the coldest day of the season so far.

Pan, water, heat. Place additive container in the heated water. Wait. Remove. Pour.

i don't trust there oil additives, pretty thick is an understatement. the stuff is like glue.

any reason you dont trust them? besides the fact that they are thick. i use the oil additive and have no problems..i have never heard a single bad thing about any fluids put out by lucas, usually they are recommended.

I don't trust Lucas stuff either. A few years ago, I gave the oil additive a shot. Almost immediately, I noticed my heap was running hotter than normal. I inspected the cooling system and everything seemed to be OK. I started googling the Lucas additive and found a few places where guys were having the exact same issue. IIRC, it is basically too thick and contributes to heat build-up. I changed the oil and my problem stopped. Never again will I use their products. We don't have much room for error with temps with the 4.0. SeaFoam, on the other hand, seems to be really good chit.

Back