• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control on 1991 4.0 not working

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am trying to repair the cruise control on a new to me 1991 XJ with 4.0 H/O. It has never worked under my ownership. Not sure where to begin. Nothing happens when engaged. Don't hear any air leaks. Any ideas?

One of the easiest things to check is the switch. Jeeps of that era used a GM design so they are easy to find.

The wire for the switch exits at the bottom of the steering column. It is a blade type socket that plugs into a socket in your wiring loom. IIRC, their are two "blades" each of which has a copper connector on each side. Again, IIRC, one blade (with a connector on each side) triggers the "on/resume" function while the other blade triggers off the "set button on the end of the stalk. You can check it with a multi-meter by holding a probe on each side while you move the switch and push the button. An extra pair of hands helps but if the meter reading changes when the button and switch move, it should be ok.

Here is a pick that shows the connector you are looking for:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-5081-49284.aspx?origin=keyword

The plug for the cruise switch will be to the right of the coloum from the drivers seat. located by the abs computer. took me a while to find it on mine. servo is on the right side of the engine bay by the fuse box.

Are you sure the cable is properly attached. The cable on my Renix was first...loose. Later it was completely detached...and are your vac lines in good shape?

Also confirm brake switch function

I had read about the switch being bad and I didn't look much further until a year or so later. The cruise had been intermittent and got worse to non-functioning. When I was finally ready to go into it, I found the wire from the switch had been pinched at the factory in the steering column bolt up. Fixed that wiring problem and had cruise since. sorry it took me a couple few years to get to it.

There's a vacuum valve at the pedal, make sure it's pushed in all the way. Same goes for the switch right above it.

Not so sure because I go between manuals and autos, there's slight differences in the system.

Back