• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mystery coolant leak

99chero

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed the other day that my jeep is leaking coolant and I cant seem to find out where its coming from (completely covered in snow) and I was wondering are there any places that commonly leak on the cherokee's? btw, the vehicle is a 99 4.0 cherokee with 50/50 (at least i think) mix coolant and the leak is coming from looks to be either side of the rad.
Thanks
Jhery.

You should have a look under the hood when the motor is good and hot, but not running. A flashlight may help. I had a pinhole leak that would squirt onto the hot block and evaporate. Made it tough to locate. Listen as well as look.

Check the area where the tanks are attached- mine leaks there, although not consistently. Couldn't figure it out until I had the shroud off for my fan swap.

guess my best bet is to check it out when i get back home where the is less snow and its not 14 degrees outside so i can check out and not freeze to death. thanks for the info guys. this is kinda annoying because it just started it on friday

I am in the same boat as Hubs97XJ was. Leaking from both tanks but just not all of the time, so thats where I would look first.

Check the overflow hose. I'm not sure how it is routed on a 99, but on my 93, I had a leak that I could not find, seemed like it was coming from one tank , then the other, no hissing or any squirting, finally I noticed the overflow hose had a 2 inch slit, where it had rubbed on the rad support over time. It may not be your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to look for wear at least.

Leaks can be tough to isolate but you've gotta put your time in. As mentiond, look and listen. Best time to check for leaks is when the engine is hot and cooling system is at full pressure. Don't forget to check the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump; they can start to leak when they are starting to go south.....replace if that is the case.

Be sure that you check coolant reservoir frequently and keep it filled appropriately so you don't have an overheating problem to add to your troubles....Little leaks can turn into BIG leaks in a micro-second. Good Luck and post back what you find!

Insure that the rad is full before checking a leak high on the rad may not show up other wise. Check the clamps if the stock clamps are still in use they can be difficult to reset once disturbed. Check cap very closely and seat in the rad it doesn't take much to dent the seat. I have drop a screwdriver a few inches onto it and dented it. Check under the passenger side carpet and under the dash. This would be sine's of a leaking heater core.

I agree with all the above, have also had instance where it was just happening with the little extra presure of water pump under engine rev. Can also go rent a presure tester at a parts store. Good luck.

X2 - If you can get yur hands on a pressure tester (hooks onto radiator at cap location) you can find the leak way easier. Look first with the motor off where you can get your head in without worrying about rotating parts. Radiators with the plastic crimped on water tanks often leak at that crimp joint.

Don't forget to check the lower rad hose where it crosses the power steering lines. This is a long-standing bit of bad design, in which the lines will wear a hole in the hose. Even if it isn't leaking yet, you might consider shielding it where it rubs.

Leaks can be tough to isolate but you've gotta put your time in. As mentiond, look and listen. Best time to check for leaks is when the engine is hot and cooling system is at full pressure. Don't forget to check the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump; they can start to leak when they are starting to go south.....replace if that is the case.

Be sure that you check coolant reservoir frequently and keep it filled appropriately so you don't have an overheating problem to add to your troubles....Little leaks can turn into BIG leaks in a micro-second. Good Luck and post back what you find!

x2, check the weep hole on the water pump.

Don't forget to check the lower rad hose where it crosses the power steering lines. This is a long-standing bit of bad design, in which the lines will wear a hole in the hose. Even if it isn't leaking yet, you might consider shielding it where it rubs.

I actually already shielded that because it just wasnt sitting right with me. I have access to a pressure tester just not at the moment b/c school is closed but once I get back to the island where there is less snow i can get up under it and see whats going on. thanks for the info.
if my rad is going bad, what is a good aftermarket rad for it and electric fans?

Back