• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roadtrip to Alaska checklist....

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
We head out from Columbia, SC on the 15th...
Gotta go get our stuff out of storage, sell off the damn airplane and rv...

We are taking a shotgun, I have the form to fill out...
We are taking a 98 single cab, regular bed Nissan Frontier, 2wd.
We will probably pick up some chains in North Dakota or Montana...
Got the recovery gear and basic tools...
Gas cans, survival gear (shovel, ax, MRE's, camping gear, fire starti toys, ect..)

Couple questions..
Last time I went across the border, ll I needed was a DL. I have an old passport, will that be enough of another ID to go with my DL?

Do I send my gun form in or just present it at the border?

Will my debit card account for the exchange rate at the pump?

Any other advise in this fawked up trip?

Lol...yeah...don't drive a single cab! Are you fawkin nuts? You're going to be stuck in the permanent driving position when you fall out of the vehicle. Especially your large sasquatchian self.

I guess this is what you want the overload springs for huh...going to double up on them or what?

This thing has 3 leaves.... thats it...

And we are puttin 30's on it

To cross the border you will need a current valid passport as that's the only thing they will accept now. Your check card being visa or MC should adjust for the price difference accordingly. As for the form for the gun I'm not sure about that but if it's something like the carry permits the US has then you'd probably want to send it in and get whatever it is they send back to you.

what time of year do you plan on driving there and back?
and where are you crossing the border, and driving through?
if your going to be anywhere between North/Eastern British Columbia and say, the East Coast, during October to May 2wd may not cut it. Its not un-heard of for a foot of snow to fall overnight. My buddies 2wd Sonoma is pretty much useless on any grade with any snow/slush and thats with snowtires.
Not sure on rules getting gun across the border. But once your over here your going to need to have the trigger locked, and the gun in a case (think it has to be locked aswell for travel, atleast in it I know) Will you be picking up ammo anywhere in particular? Ammo has to be kept in a locked container, seperate from the gun.

dave92cherokee said:
To cross the border you will need a current valid passport as that's the only thing they will accept now. Your check card being visa or MC should adjust for the price difference accordingly. As for the form for the gun I'm not sure about that but if it's something like the carry permits the US has then you'd probably want to send it in and get whatever it is they send back to you.
To get across the Mexican border all you need is a birth certificate and ID or DL... I don't know if it's the same for the Canadian border or not.

Oh, and I WOULD not take a 2wd.....

I don't think you can carry a gun of any type into Canada any more unless you are on a hunting trip. Better send it. If you decide to carry it, contact the Canadians and make SURE it's legal. Have the name and contact info of the person you talked to when you cross the border.

You better take some rubbers.
Knowing your extra-curricular activities, you don't want to pick up anything along the way...........IF you know what I mean.:D

Go find a copy of the MILEPOST, it will be very useful. I did this trip last july, and I know from Edmonton to Tok Alaska the towns are spaced out almost perfectly at 300miles a piece. The highway is generally two lanes the whole way. There will be plenty of places to pull of and sleep or rest if you need.
Towns tend to shutdown at about 10pm, if you want to pass up a town and not stay the night that is fine, but do not pass up the gas stations. If you pull into a town past whitehorse at 2am you will not be able to find a open gas pump. Your card will automatically adjust for the price difference.
If you want anymore info just pm me. Like I said, i did this trip last july with my wife, two year old, dog and cat in a 99 GMC extended cab.

tbburg said:
I don't think you can carry a gun of any type into Canada any more unless you are on a hunting trip. Better send it. If you decide to carry it, contact the Canadians and make SURE it's legal. Have the name and contact info of the person you talked to when you cross the border.

You can, and I'll be damned if we are sending the gun and then get stuck in a survival situation without it...

We are crossing right above Great Falls Montana

I read somewhere that you could use a DL and 2nd form of ID instead of just a passport?

Yes, my brothers lil truck

We have made this trip before, and are very aclimated to the weather, hell, we lived in Alaska for almost a decade...

Hoping to drive back in late october, there will be snow, but hopefully not a ton...

Yep, found the website, just need tho two forms of ID
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html#P003
When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, when necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your permanent resident card (i.e. green card) with you. For more information on admissibility into Canada, read the fact sheet called Managing Access to Canada. It is available on our Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca.

Zac, i have a copy of the Milepost (just a few years old but should still suit you fine) PM me your addy if you want it.

Have a safe trip. Running up through Glacier NP and into Banff/Jasper?

Runnin the fastest route we can.. we've already done the sightseeing trip..

Will do a lil on the way back perhaps.

Back