• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My epic roadtrip:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Let me preface this, its not Jeep related, I left the Jeep at home for this one and I am happy with that call.

I graduated with my ME degree back in august. For my graduation gift I got to take a road trip with my dad and our dogs to the top of the world. The following is a limited pictorial of what we went through on the trip.

Total time traveling was 19 days:

Route traveled:
AK_0001.jpg

AK_0002.jpg

Stopped at custers last stand:
AK_0004.jpg

AK_0017.jpg

AK_0019.jpg

AK_0022.jpg

Northern CAN:
AK_0025.jpg

Crossing some big river:
AK_0035.jpg

We found another unfortunate soul in a VW in northern CAN:
AK_0037.jpg

My turn to drive, and my co-pilot:
AK_0042.jpg

Then my co-copilot came up to help too:
AK_0046.jpg

Then my co-pilot crashed, leaving me on my own, so I kicked back and took off my shoes:
AK_0041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great time! I won't be doing anything that extreme, but looking forward to my road trip up to Spokane, WA this summer. Trying to convince the lady to let me just cruise on up to the Canadia border while we're so close (simply because I've never been that far north before. :) )

P.s. Congrats on the semi-recent graduation! :)

What the heck!? You can't tell us about this epic road trip and post just a few photos, one of which is of your socks!!?!?!?!! I for one want more photos! And if I don't get them I will go on strike and not post anything on this thread anymore!

damn man.... looks like a great time.
i wish i would have gotten to do something like that with my dad!

we need more pics for sure!!! and a pic of the VW you were in! lol

More more more more! Loved the photos... except the ones of your socks :D

Looks like a great time! I won't be doing anything that extreme, but looking forward to my road trip up to Spokane, WA this summer. Trying to convince the lady to let me just cruise on up to the Canadia border while we're so close (simply because I've never been that far north before. :) )

P.s. Congrats on the semi-recent graduation! :)

Thanks! Ya you should run up there, heck even go into Canada if you have your ID's for getting back into the US(we don't want you to have to cross the border illegally ala Born in East LA).

More more more more! Loved the photos... except the ones of your socks :D

Ok, from now on I will only post photos of my feet WITHOUT socks on.

I went through about 500 photos last night picking them out to post, came up against the image limit, and was trying to post in sections when I guess I screwed up the preview option and lost all my selected photos and comments. It was late and I was tired(been up since 3:30am and was rousted by the denver police for sleeping in my Jeep yesterday am).

So I'm gonna start going back through them now.

So my co-pilot crashed out leaving me on my own(dad sleeping in the back):
AK_0051.jpg

Road construction and traffic in the middle of nowhere(makes west texas seem populous):
AK_0050.jpg

But it was nice and clear and pretty:
AK_0053.jpg

But then it started to rain:
AK_0057.jpg

Saw some Meese:
AK_0060.jpg

And Canadian Buffalo:
AK_0061.jpg

The dogs were quite interested in the Buffalo:
AK_0066.jpg

AK_0069.jpg

Stopping to make some tea:
AK_0070.jpg

Partway there:(the 3462 km is how far we have traveled, and the 2200 km is how far we have to go, an impressive GPS display, about 6 of those stopped hours were sleeping in WYO the first night out, we left at like 9pm from fort collins after working on the van all day)
AK_0071.jpg

Getting some expensive gas in Northern Canada:
AK_0075.jpg

Another van that didn't fair as well:
AK_0072.jpg

The dogs like to watch us:
AK_0076.jpg

Signpost forest and an old Air cooled van:
AK_0080.jpg

AK_0082.jpg

AK_0089.jpg

AK_0096.jpg

AK_0093.jpg

Someone commemorated their trip(s):
AK_0094.jpg

Stopped to cook some eggs from my chickens back home:
AK_0100.jpg

Dogs are always ready to help:
AK_0101.jpg

AK_0102.jpg

AK_0105.jpg

Back on the road:
AK_0112.jpg

Another massive river:(lots of big freshwater rivers, makes you realize how dry Colorado is in comparison)
AK_0114.jpg

Children, a stupid risk:
AK_0115.jpg

Some wierd RHD diesel thing that was imported(in Canada if something is 15 years old you can import it easily, so there are all sorts of RHD japanese super cars running around like supras, 300zx, skylines, but there are also toyota solid axle rigs with diesels and such around too that made me drool. Jeep didn't sell diesels in Japan so you can forget about getting a 97 cherokee with ~50-100k miles on it for $500-$1500 USD. I had a friend in Japan who used to have old vehicles given to him because people didn't want to sell them. I think he paid a guy $200 for a ten year old XJ in perfect shape, but i digress)
AK_0117.jpg

Another van hiding out in whitehorse yukon territory(not even a province, its still a territory).
AK_0118.jpg

We forgot to fold up the seat to keep the dogs off the sleeping bags in the back, so Sandy got real comfortable back there.
AK_0119.jpg

These next photos will be out of order with my next post since I switched from my dads camera to mine for most photos:

Our camping site for the night after visiting the arctic ocean:
AK_0123.jpg

AK_0127.jpg

going down the Ice cut later the next morning:
AK_0133.jpg

Stopped for a photo op:
AK_0143.jpg

AK_0148.jpg

Me taking a photo:
AK_0157.jpg

Posing for another photo:
AK_0154.jpg

Caribou hunters in Coldfoot:
AK_0158.jpg

When you see it, you'll $h!t bricks:
AK_0160.jpg

They asked nicely, so I didn't climb it.
AK_0164.jpg

We stopped to take a photo under the pipeline here, and of course my dad stopped with the mud puddle right out the door, and my dog defied my orders and jumped out into the mud, so this is him being punished(the worst thing for him is to not be near me):
AK_0171.jpg

AK_0177.jpg

AK_0172.jpg

AK_0184.jpg

Wrangell St Elias National park, biggest park in the United States(google it, its cool)
AK_0185.jpg

AK_0189.jpg

AK_0192.jpg

Outside of Valdez AK, you may recognize the waterfall from a recent chevy ad where a guy loads up a big boat from the docks and then drives through the mountains.
AK_0196.jpg

Big Glacier outside of Hyder AK(google it)
AK_0208.jpg

Dog looking:
AK_0204.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Westy. Does it still have the 2.1 motor?

This needs to be merged with the Vanagon love thread.

Ah ok. I was afraid that it was too obvious!

Nah, I didn't want it to be hard, plus I liked the pun.

Nice Westy. Does it still have the 2.1 motor?

Thanks. It has a 2.1 motor, runs good for a 2.1, it has to have been replaced at some point because it is relatively leak free and has good power.

I'll take a minute to post some about the van:

The van started life as a tin top, ended up picking it up in the summer of 09 with the money left over from the insurance company after I hit a deer in my XJ(2700 in damage to the XJ, cost me $500 to fit it myself, and after the $500 detectible I had $1700 sitting around, which is exactly what the van cost to purchase).

The van came from avon, and before that it came from fort collins, and on the way back we picked up a nice fiberglass top from a nice fellow in frisco.

van1.jpg

I got lucky and scored subaru conversion stuff from an AC van that had been converted to a WC subi. Got the exhaust, adapter plate, flywheel and clutch for $100
van16.jpg

van17.jpg

So then I got freerider to come down and give me a hand at the junkyard and I cut the westy roof off of a van at the yard for $100:
van19.jpg

I also grabbed the westy interior out of the junkyard van for $100:
vIMG_0579.jpg

vIMG_0585.jpg

So after lots of spot weld cutting the roof skin was off:

Old roof support:
van32.jpg

New roof skin:
van34.jpg

Cleaning up the weld surface:
van36.jpg

van37.jpg