• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 TJ motor into my 92 XJ

Yokalryder

NAXJA Forum User
Hoping for some advice, my motor has a rod knock and is ready to take a crap. A friend lost his TJ in a garage fire, not completely burnt to the ground but enough for the insurance to total it out. His jeep only has 127k on the odometer and ran great, told me if I help him pull it I can have the motor. I know it's do able but I can't seem to find any threads on exactly what I need to complete the swap. Obviously all my OBD1 stuff has to be used. I was planning on replacing as much of the bolt on stuff with new, especially starting with a new oil pump. Also want to upgrade to heavy duty motor mounts while I have it out. I am working on a tight budget, that's why the free motor is a saving grace, but I still want to drop it in as fresh as possible without doing a full rebuild. Thank you in advance for any advice

My advice is to take his engine. Sell it. Then buy one that will actually bolt into your XJ.

All 4.0 engines are noisy plus I don't think the engine mounts will be in the right spot if you use the TJ block, could be wrong :dunno:

My advice is to take his engine. Sell it. Then buy one that will actually bolt into your XJ.

All 4.0 engines are noisy plus I don't think the engine mounts will be in the right spot if you use the TJ block, could be wrong :dunno:

I know the blocks are the same, it wasn't until 99 they changed them, I had already looked into that part of it. It's everything else on the motor that I'm not sure what I can use/not use

the head may not have the port for the dash temperature gauge. it shouldn't be too much of an issue to swap it. all of your OBD 1 sensor need to be swapped over. not 100% sure on the ports on the head. but swap your intake and exhaust manifolds over too.

the head may not have the port for the dash temperature gauge. it shouldn't be too much of an issue to swap it. all of your OBD 1 sensor need to be swapped over. not 100% sure on the ports on the head. but swap your intake and exhaust manifolds over too.

Yeah that's where I'm not sure what I will have to do. I was kind of already planning on using my manifolds, unless my throttle body will bolt to the newer one. My motor is the HO so I'm not sure my intake and exhaust will match up to the newer head either, hoping to not have to swap the head. But if that's the biggest obstacle then I'm not looking to bad. I really want this motor because it's free, but mainly because of only 127k on it. I'd never find one the same year with anything close to that low of mileage.

The block and the head will work. The original manifolds, sensors and belt driven accessories will fit.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange. 1997 - 1999 TJ blocks will also interchange. Simply remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from the 1998 original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

Drill and tap the thermostat housing for the extra temp sensor.

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'm going to pull the motor after the new year. The more I can re use, the more I'll be able to spend on replacing all the other normal wear and tear items.

Just put an 06 TJ 4.0 in my 00 XJ. We sell the conversion brackets now.

Why? Because we want to watch the world burn.

That's awesome! I was already planning on running your motor mounts, I love your guys stuff. I do follow you on Facebook, but my budget has been super limited, especially until I get a reliable motor. As soon as money permits I have full intention on ordering some stuff from you. A buddy of mine runs a lot of your stuff on his ZJ and I was very impressed with it.

That's awesome! I was already planning on running your motor mounts, I love your guys stuff. I do follow you on Facebook, but my budget has been super limited, especially until I get a reliable motor. As soon as money permits I have full intention on ordering some stuff from you. A buddy of mine runs a lot of your stuff on his ZJ and I was very impressed with it.

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but good to hear!

Back