• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good reason to get a CCW

You mean a law abiding citizen utilized his 2nd Amendment right to do something good?!! But the media says that guns are baaaaaad. Wow, what is this world coming to.

"There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men. What we are trying to teach you here is to be dangerous at all times, with any weapon, even if you have only one hand free and a working mind." I'm probably misquoting, since I can't find my copy of Starship Troopers at the moment, but the gist is there.

People who have read my more recent misadventures know what I'm talking about - the fact of being dangerous has nothing to do with what's in your hands or what you know, it's a state of mind. If you're properly dangerous, it's controlled and that makes you all the more effective.

In other words...

HOO-RAH MARINE! Bravo Zulu!

5-90

You'll never see this kind of story in the national news. It's good to see it published by a local paper. Heroic actions by citizens are discouraged rather than honored by the national press.

Good job, Marine. You make us proud.

RR3

Marine or not, doesnt concern me, Im just glad someone stepped up to the plate and did the right thing! Give that guy a medal!

Andrew

PS
Virginia is easy (for law abiding citizens without a criminal history) to get a CCW.... When you come to VA, dont act a fool, someone may draw leather on you here too.... :)

Utah is also very freindly when it comes to obtaining a ccw. My four sisters, brother in laws, mom, dad, myself, wife, cousins, ect...
One of the main resons I like the CCW is that it gives the person a basic training with handling a firearm.

hologram said:
One of the main resons I like the CCW is that it gives the person a basic training with handling a firearm.

Depends where you are. In WA all we do is pay a fee, print two fingerprint cards, and wait a couple of weeks for the license. No classes, no tests, nothing.

And yes, Utah is great with non-resident permits. My WA State one expires in January and I'm just going to get a UT license since it's reciprocal with WA.

See if that had happened up here and I was the guy chasing, I would have had to rely on my wits and fists to hold him until the cops came. Of course they would arrest me for assault instead and set him free, since he would have been holding a joybuzzer, his house keys and a bag of jelly-beans instead of a taser, brass knuckles and pepper spray...

Cultural differences, eh?

ECKSJAY said:
Depends where you are. In WA all we do is pay a fee, print two fingerprint cards, and wait a couple of weeks for the license. No classes, no tests, nothing.

And yes, Utah is great with non-resident permits. My WA State one expires in January and I'm just going to get a UT license since it's reciprocal with WA.
Check the regs very carefully. In most states that recognize or are reciprocal with other states, they won't allow their own residents to get around having a home state permit/license by getting a non-resident permit in a reciprocal state.

But ... I thought Wal-Mart didn't allow concealed (or open carry) weapons on their property. I wonder if this incident might cause them to reevaluate that policy.

Eagle said:
Check the regs very carefully. In most states that recognize or are reciprocal with other states, they won't allow their own residents to get around having a home state permit/license by getting a non-resident permit in a reciprocal state.
Again, YMMV. I know I'm fine.

In CA and other non-shall issue states, a CCW applicant needs to note a good reason for wanting a permit. That's what I thought this thread was about when I saw the title.

That said, what IS a good reason to put on the app?? I don't carry large sums of money or jewelry. Can I just say that I travel a lot and wish to be able to have a handgun in my Jeep in order to defend myself?

Although the CCW process here in Orange County has become somewhat easier, I understand that it can still be difficult. I was considering getting a Nevada non-resident CCW, which is reciprocal in Utah and Arizona (I think)...the three states where I spend most of my time. But it wouldn't be good in CA.

xjohnnyc said:
In CA and other non-shall issue states, a CCW applicant needs to note a good reason for wanting a permit. That's what I thought this thread was about when I saw the title.

That said, what IS a good reason to put on the app?? I don't carry large sums of money or jewelry. Can I just say that I travel a lot and wish to be able to have a handgun in my Jeep in order to defend myself?

Although the CCW process here in Orange County has become somewhat easier, I understand that it can still be difficult. I was considering getting a Nevada non-resident CCW, which is reciprocal in Utah and Arizona (I think)...the three states where I spend most of my time. But it wouldn't be good in CA.

A good reason? 'Because the police are under no obligation to protect me, nor are they always there fast enough. I also have a natural right to defend myself that no man-made law can bar.' :D Probably wouldn't fly though.

Nevada looks like a good one for you. :)

Back