• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud Noise in 4x4-Front Maybe?

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there crowd.
We just got some snow in Pa in the last few days. I have been driving around town under 40mph in Full-Time 4x4. I have the 242 T-case in my 88' XJ. Today I got on the turn pike, I started to hear a loud hum from the front axle or t-case. When I got off the pike, I went into 2wd. Noise went away. Now I did notice some play in the front driveshaft at the axle end, when I changed the fluid a few months back. the diff wasn't as tight as the rear diff. I thought I might have to do with the ARB in the rear and open in the front. A local shop did the gear swap for me back in May.
So my question is this, do I need to have the front gears and backlash set back up to be as tight as the rear. Or is the t-case due for a rebuild. The t-case is the only thing in the driveline that hasn't been rebuilt in the last year. 235,111 miles on it.
Any help would be great. Thanks Juice

my first thoughts are the front d/shaft.. bad u-joint, but i have seen one where the slip joint was badly work and had play in it.. remove the front d/shaft and drive it in 4wd and see if it's still there.. sounds like a dry u-joint thats heating up on you..
mike

Thanks, I'll try that today if I can get underthere with the snow. If that isn't it, I'll try the diff and than the t-case. Juice

Back