• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front wiper motor wire diagram -- "park"

MMIXJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey folks,

i'm trying to retrofit a front wiper motor from a '99 XJ for use in a '52 ford truck (using a '72 ford truck wiper switch)...

pulled a motor from the junkyard, but for some reason the wiper motor wiring diagram in my 00/01 XJ FSM doesn't actually match the motor (?). oddly, the wiper diagram in my old haynes manual doesn't match either!

trial & error i've figured out which wires are used for ground, high, and low, but i can't seem to figure out how to get the 'park' feature to work. i've got two leftover wires on the motor (green and blue). it could be that maybe one of them is used for 'intermittent' (which my switch doesn't support), but any insight how to make the motor park when swtiched off would be appreciated.

fwiw, when i hook up the wire from the switch which i believe is correct for park (12v hot) to the blue wire, the motor actually does park but does so immediately when the switch is turned to the 'low' or 'high' position (not when it is switched off).

thanks in advance; this is driving me crazy and is seemingly way harder than it needs to be!

hmmm... haven't been here in a long time; looks like you can't post attachments anymore?

well, the wiper motor i pulled from the '99 has 5 wires: red, black, blue, brown, green.

FSM shows: DG/YL, BR/VT, BR/WT, DB, and ground.

haynes manual shows: WHT, BLU, BLK, RED, and ground.

the problem is neither diagram shows what's going on inside the "intermittent module" so i can't really tell the source of any of them (other than ground).

Pro Demand shows the wiring colors the same as the FSM -- DG/YL is park according to their wiring diagram

does it by chance show pin locations on connector? as mentioned, my problem is i don't have DG/YL, i have red, blue, green, black, and brown. if you have connector diagram then maybe i could match it that way.

thanks.

hmmm... haven't been here in a long time; looks like you can't post attachments anymore?

well, the wiper motor i pulled from the '99 has 5 wires: red, black, blue, brown, green.

FSM shows: DG/YL, BR/VT, BR/WT, DB, and ground.

haynes manual shows: WHT, BLU, BLK, RED, and ground.

the problem is neither diagram shows what's going on inside the "intermittent module" so i can't really tell the source of any of them (other than ground).

Staring at the diagram in the FSM on page 8W-53-2, the DG/YL wire gets connected to +12v by the park switch in the motor when the wipers are not parked. The intermittent module connects that wire to the low speed wiper motor wire if the switch is in off or intermittent. The intermittent module briefly connects the DG/YL wire to +12v to initiate a wipe, and then the power comes from the park wire to complete the single wipe/park cycle.

Does that ford switch have a pin that gets connected to the low speed wire when it's in the off position?

does it by chance show pin locations on connector? as mentioned, my problem is i don't have DG/YL, i have red, blue, green, black, and brown. if you have connector diagram then maybe i could match it that way.

thanks.

Yes it does -- Looks like pin #2 is the dkGrn/YL

Looking at your connector -- pins facing towards you -- Tab of oval connector on top -- pin #2 is top row, center -- directly under the locking tab

3 2 1
6 5 4

thats the pin layout while looking directly at the pins in the connector -- tab on top

Does that ford switch have a pin that gets connected to the low speed wire when it's in the off position?

here's the switch diagram i found for a '72:

1972MasterWiring_03.jpg

Yes it does -- Looks like pin #2 is the dkGrn/YL

Looking at your connector -- pins facing towards you -- Tab of oval connector on top -- pin #2 is top row, center -- directly under the locking tab

3 2 1
6 5 4

thats the pin layout while looking directly at the pins in the connector -- tab on top

thank you! just to be sure, would be nice to know the other pin/color combos if you have a moment.
:cheers:

Back