• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why do most swingouts go toward the passenger side?

I like the look of that red rig but I agree with everyone else about the hernia. I think it might be a good design for a trail rig but it would be a pain to have to lift the tire every time I want to get into the hatch.

I like the look of that red rig but I agree with everyone else about the hernia. I think it might be a good design for a trail rig but it would be a pain to have to lift the tire every time I want to get into the hatch.

Great way to ensure the wife will NEVER want to take it grocery shopping. Maybe.

I have mine that goes into the hitch and I agree. Avoid opening it because it's such a pain

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

This thread is actually quite timely, and I'm not here to poke fun at the red jeep (because it's awesome).

With that in mind, I see some folks saying keep the pivot on the right, and put the tire on the left. This seems like bad engineering to me unless there's massive reinforcement.

Best idea I've seen thus far is to split the bar, have a section go each way. Tire on the left, other stuff on the right. That's what I'm looking to do. But first I have to unscrew the job that Kennesaw Mountain Accessories did on the tire carrier they built for me back in 02, back when I? thought welding was a mystic art. They now go by "Tactical Armor Group", and I MOST STRONGLY recommend staying away from them. The crap I got from them did not at all resemble what I ordered, and when I pointed it out I was told I'd have to pay shipping back and forth to get it sorted out- to the tune of $120/way. I should thank them, obviously- this is what prompted me to learn to weld.

like this idea. ever seen it done right? building one soon and really considering this design

toyota-tacoma-2001-2004-rear-bumper-3.jpg

found one off a Taco

like this idea. ever seen it done right? building one soon and really considering this design

Of course, that's where I got the idea. ;)

Because you intend to sleep in the bed, or any of a multitude of other reasons.

speaking of Toyotas, do a google image search for "4x4labs tire carrier ladder", that is where I got the idea for a split swing-out. DirtBound was willing to make it for me, easier to pay them the premium

Good stuff, though I am curious what they are using material wise. I'd want the top of the ladder touching the roof rack, with a couple poly pucks isolating it for rattle concerns.

Because you intend to sleep in the bed, or any of a multitude of other reasons.

OK, can see sleep in bed...maybe.....but tonneau cover ??

And if you were gonna do that, just put the tire & gas can outside the bed on the ground, That's what I did when I slept in the bed in the past.

No need for a carrier.

Each their own. Don't like it, don't have it.

I mounted mine on driver side as far as I could go. I like being able to see out the rear window. I mounted the bearing on driver side as well. We all know how much that tire and trash bag can weigh. Then take it down the highway and on the trail, that's is a lot for any tire carrier bearing to survive. I have been super happy with my setup.
386ad820f71c409566e23553fa688e9d.jpg
19da47ce1352ef666ce8984fe804a843.jpg
78f23b229ecfc80098601e1e9fb88a7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back