• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition wiring blues

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
2001 xj

Jeep would turn on with the key but would not turn over, not even a click from the starter. Few days later it fired up and then on the second start the starter cut out after a second. I checked all the fuses and swapped relays no luck.

I turned the key on and jumper the starter. Cranked strong and started right up several times with this method. Oh I also replaced the battery too it was weak on the amps and better safe than sorry on the trail.

From what I gather this leaves me with the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch. Any way to test these?

I am also thinking of just switching the starter to a push button. I could hook it up directly but would think it would be better to use the starter relay and just bypass the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch. Thoughts? I was not sure how many amps the starter ignition wire pulls. The wire that initiates the starter not the one hooked to the battery.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,Had a 99 Cherokee Classics do the same thing.The people i bought it from put a toga witch in it and it worked fine.Now i think the ignition switch is cheap price but a little work to install.

Please note That I stop for the broken down on the road,the homeless, and the ones that need help. I do this because The Man Saved me 2000 Years back.

Hi,Had a 99 Cherokee Classics do the same thing.The people i bought it from put a toga witch in it and it worked fine.Now i think the ignition switch is cheap price but a little work to install.

Please note That I stop for the broken down on the road,the homeless, and the ones that need help. I do this because Jesus Saved me 2000 Years back.

Last edited:
The symptoms strongly suggest a faulty ignition switch. They are, easy to locate, low in cost, and simple to install.

If you jiggle the shifter handle in Park and/or in Neutral and the engine starts, the NSS needs adjusting or cleaning.

The symptoms strongly suggest a faulty ignition switch. They are, easy to locate, low in cost, and simple to install.

If you jiggle the shifter handle in Park and/or in Neutral and the engine starts, the NSS needs adjusting or cleaning.

Yeah i gave it a jiggle with no luck. Guess it need to figure if I spend the cash on an ignition switch or push start. I guess I will do the ignition switch sense it might be in danger of completely failing... I would assume at least

You mention a push start, so I guess you have a manual. I mention this because the the auto NSS is quite different (a) it's also the backup light switch so a bypass would be no more than a get-you-home fix (unless you can live without them - or manually switch them) but, (b) more importantly at this stage, in may experience, will require more than a little jiggling, but slamming back & forward through the whole quadrant maybe a dozen times - & even then you may need to repeat a couple of times.

You mention a push start, so I guess you have a manual. I mention this because the the auto NSS is quite different (a) it's also the backup light switch so a bypass would be no more than a get-you-home fix (unless you can live without them - or manually switch them) but, (b) more importantly at this stage, in may experience, will require more than a little jiggling, but slamming back & forward through the whole quadrant maybe a dozen times - & even then you may need to repeat a couple of times.

Good to know. I don't currently have reverse lights, installed LEDs and did independent turn signals.that would have been a good check.

I was going to switch in the push start at the starter lead. I assumed everything else would work just bypassed. At this point I think I'll send the extra. $20. I don't want it completely failing on the trail. I will try to move the shifter around more, it is an auto.

Took your advise and moved it around pretty rough, just wiggled it before. It showed life and once I found the sweet spot it works every time. Just need to clean and adjust the NSS!

Back