• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Cherokee cigar lighter not working?

If you have a multimeter (VOM) check the voltage going thru the fuses in the passenger kick panel beneath the glove compartment and the PDC inside the engine compartment near the battery. Just because the fuse looks good; doesn't mean it is.

i will try replacing both of the 25 fuses......i was wondering if another fuse could be blown? like......does power go thru anything else that would affect the power outlets and lighter? its just weird that they both quit at the same time, and they have seperate fuses as far as i know.......i dont know much about the electric system of the Jeeps.....ty for the reply!

junctionblock.jpg

2000 Jeep Cherokee Fuses
Junction/fuse block (inside kick panel)
Fuse #1 is the large 25A on the top of the left column
Fuse #15 is the large 25A on the top of the right column

Fuse #1 power outlet
Fuse #2 cigar lighter
Fuse #3 left headlamp
Fuse #4 left headlamp
Fuse #5 right headlamp
Fuse #6 Dash lights (switches, controls, gauge cluster)
Fuse #7 license light & the left side turn, parking, marker and tail lamp
Fuse #8 Spare
Fuse #9 compass, sentry key, headlamp delay module, instrument cluster
Fuse #10 transmission range sensor, duty cycle evap/purge solenoid, radiator fan relay, a/c clutch relay, o2 sensor up/downstream relays, back up lamp switch
Fuse #11 transmission control module, power train control module, automatic shutdown relay, fuel pump relay
Fuse #12 instrument cluster, combination flasher
Fuse #13 Spare
Fuse #14 power mirrors, rear defogger & switch
Fuse #15 passenger power lock/window switch
Fuse #16 cargo lamp/switch, courtesy lamps, radio, instrument cluster, under hood lamp, transmission control module
Fuse #17 radio
Fuse #18 power mirror switch, driver power window/lock switch, heated seats
Fuse #19 starter motor relay
Fuse #20 trailer tow harness & trailer turn relays
Fuse #21 horn(s)
Fuse #22 rear wiper switch & motor
Fuse #23 right side marker, turn, parking and tail lights
Fuse #24 Spare
Fuse #25 shift lock solenoid, a/c heater control, abs controller, abs controller relay, blower motor relay, blend door actuator
Fuse #26 airbag control module
Fuse #27 airbag control module

Power distribution center (under the hood)
Looking at the PDC from the front of the vehicle, the bottom right mini fuse is #16, the one above it is #17, the top one in the column is #18.
Fuse #19 is to the left (of #16)

Fuse #16 under hood lamp, transmission control module, radio & interior lights
Fuse #17 O2 downstream relay
fuse #18 coil rail & injectors
Fuse #19 headlamp switch & data connector
Fuse #20 combination flasher
Fuse #22 fuel pump relay
Fuse #23 brake lamp switch
Fuse #25 fog lamp relay
Fuse #26 power amplifier

Check fuses 1&2 in the kick panel junction block.

Last edited:
i replaced both the fuses in #1 and #2....and the lighter and the 12V outlet still dont work......think it could be that cigar lighter relay in the diagram you posted? i never messed with a relay, do they just unplug? ty for posting all that info, i saved it for future reference!!!!

The relay should just pull out, but that doesn't explain the loss of power for the 20A power receptacle.
I am on travel in Yosemite Ntl Park and don't have access to the wiring pin outs of the factory service manual. You should purchase one for your Year Jeep if you intend on keeping the vehicle for several years. Definitely one of my best early investments for the Jeep.

thanks for taking time out of your vacation to try to help me man.......its nice of you! I have a buddy that good with fixing stuff ( dont we ALL)? lol.....maybe he can help me this weekend.....i like the 12V for my cell charger......and i use the smoke lighter too.....just has me stumped that they both quit at once......worked fine, then.....nothing......thanks again man!

Back