• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gears and pumps that don't suck?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
(Background: 2001 XJ Sport. Running 265/75R16s (~31.5") on ~5" of lift. Stock inverted Y-link steering, except for a drop pitman arm (YJ I believe) and V8 ZJ tie rod.)

I've replaced my steering gear and pump at least 3 times each over the last 6 years due to leaks from aftermarket parts that simply suck. I've tried all the major parts houses, with the last parts being an A1-Cardone pump from Napa and whatever the house brand was at the time for Autozone on the gear, both purchased and installed ~3 years ago. They've both leaked slightly since day 1, but I was willing to deal with it... Until now.

When I installed the last pair, I went through 2 pumps back-to-back from Advance due to leaking shaft seals, along with another steering gear due to leaking sector shaft seals.

I have a filter installed on the return line, along with a second circuit in my transmission cooler set up as a power steering cooler.

What pisses me off about all this is that the only reason I even had to replace my factory steering gear (at around 180,000 miles) was because I sheared one of the mounting bolts off while installing a beefier steering gear spacer, as corrosion had fused the crappy factory aluminum spacer and the gear housing together (and I did the drop pitman arm since the OEM arm was also fused to the original gear shaft - broke 3 pullers trying to remove it).

So, I'm at a crossroads:

1. Go down this stupid effing path of warranty replacements (yet again) on the parts I have.
  2. Order an OEM Mopar pump and gear (~$500 total with wholesale discount at my local dealership).
  3. Consider some aftermarket upgrades/options that don't suck and leak. All I can really imagine would be the PSC stock-replacement pump setup (which is described as being "built and blueprinted to OEM specs"), which would only save me about $20 over OEM.
Anyone have any tips as to what route they'd take? I'm probably going to cash in on the part warranties anyway in the mean time so that if I happen to get lucky enough to get non-leaking replacements, I can shelve them as spares/backups for any future incidents or XJs. Given my relatively small tire size, I don't see any need for hydro assist or anything at this point.

My vote would be to pull a low mileage junk yard unit and replace the seals. Never done the sector shaft seal but the output shaft seal is simple to replace. Other than seals I've never had one fail on me under normal use. By fail I mean the actual internals, I've had plenty break mountings. Normal use for me is 33" and smaller tires.

If you want to go OEM I'd love to know where they are getting it from. Those things are a discontinued/vintage only part now. The last versions were rebuilds anyways so nothing different other than QC checking from aftermarket offerings. All reuse the housing and gears.

You could get a rebuild kit and do it yourself too. I've seen references recently to a couple reliable places where you could send yours in to get it rebuilt correctly too.

My vote would be to pull a low mileage junk yard unit and replace the seals. Never done the sector shaft seal but the output shaft seal is simple to replace. Other than seals I've never had one fail on me under normal use. By fail I mean the actual internals, I've had plenty break mountings. Normal use for me is 33" and smaller tires.

If you want to go OEM I'd love to know where they are getting it from. Those things are a discontinued/vintage only part now. The last versions were rebuilds anyways so nothing different other than QC checking from aftermarket offerings. All reuse the housing and gears.
Damn, you're right about the OEM steering gear: decided to call and check availability and it's totally discontinued. Pump is still available though.

And I, too, have never had an outright failure - just leaks (and the bolt/spacer seizure issue).

dan1977p - I've thought about that route, but want something with a quicker turnaround. I'll definitely keep it in mind though.

I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend, but Redhead Steering sells a nice steering box. Runs about $ 300 + shipping (and core charge, which is $ 150 I think). It's not listed on their website, but you can call and order it, part # 18510NN.

I've been happy with mine, tighter than any stock steering box I've used.

Redhead was my primary choice, but cost became a concern when I had to have an emergency operation for my dog, the goober. Redhead does have an excellent reputation from everything I've read and heard.

I've swapped in a Lares #1353 from RockAuto a few months ago. So far it has been pretty good. I did not change my stock pump, it's fine. There is a "wet" look around the input shaft of the gear, but I have not lost any fluid nor seem driveway drops. It does have a "vibe" when turning left that I'm told by Lares was improper bleeding procedures; jury still out on that one as I have yet to rebleed.

I do have play in my steering, however. I'm not certain if it is the box, or lower components. The Jeep wants to wander down the road, and my castor is off due to stock arms at 4" - adjustable are in my future. I don't know if it is play in the box, castor related, or tie rod roll until I get the opportunity to spend time on it.

(Background: 2001 XJ Sport. Running 265/75R16s (~31.5") on ~5" of lift. Stock inverted Y-link steering, except for a drop pitman arm (YJ I believe) and V8 ZJ tie rod.)

I've replaced my steering gear and pump at least 3 times each over the last 6 years due to leaks from aftermarket parts that simply suck. I've tried all the major parts houses, with the last parts being an A1-Cardone pump from Napa and whatever the house brand was at the time for Autozone on the gear, both purchased and installed ~3 years ago. They've both leaked slightly since day 1, but I was willing to deal with it... Until now.

When I installed the last pair, I went through 2 pumps back-to-back from Advance due to leaking shaft seals, along with another steering gear due to leaking sector shaft seals.

I have a filter installed on the return line, along with a second circuit in my transmission cooler set up as a power steering cooler.

What pisses me off about all this is that the only reason I even had to replace my factory steering gear (at around 180,000 miles) was because I sheared one of the mounting bolts off while installing a beefier steering gear spacer, as corrosion had fused the crappy factory aluminum spacer and the gear housing together (and I did the drop pitman arm since the OEM arm was also fused to the original gear shaft - broke 3 pullers trying to remove it).

So, I'm at a crossroads:

1. Go down this stupid effing path of warranty replacements (yet again) on the parts I have.
  2. Order an OEM Mopar pump and gear (~$500 total with wholesale discount at my local dealership).
  3. Consider some aftermarket upgrades/options that don't suck and leak. All I can really imagine would be the PSC stock-replacement pump setup (which is described as being "built and blueprinted to OEM specs"), which would only save me about $20 over OEM.
Anyone have any tips as to what route they'd take? I'm probably going to cash in on the part warranties anyway in the mean time so that if I happen to get lucky enough to get non-leaking replacements, I can shelve them as spares/backups for any future incidents or XJs. Given my relatively small tire size, I don't see any need for hydro assist or anything at this point.

I went with Lares when I did my Durango/WJ swap. Other than an issue that I caused (didn't properly plug the extra reservoir port) no issues at all. I've had it for about 2 years on my rig works great. I would have went with Redhead or a local shop for a rebuild but cost was a factor did my whole swap for about 300 and one of the best mods I've done.

PSC pump on amazon like 230

I got tired of dealing with rebuilt pumps and boxes, they all suck.
Time is money and returning warranty parts for more junk is a waste of time when I could be doing something constructive, like wheeling.
Eight years ago, I bought a new pump from PSC, and two years later, a new big bore steering box.
It cost a few bucks, worth every penny when you are 35 miles from the nearest paved road. Breakdowns, caused by crap parts, really sucks.

x2 on PSC

I have nothing but great things to say about my PSC box and pump

They all can have problems. A big name guarantees nothing. Customer service is everything.
My Lares rebuilt box works as good as new, never had a problem.
My first brand new PSC pump was defective right out of the box. BUT they fixed the issue immediately and sent a second, which works flawlessly.

Lares was a lot smaller way back when. I used to periodically order some custom boxes. They'd recommend a box for an application and/or I'd specify what I wanted. Now they seem to lean towards volume and have really grown.

I'd be tempted to order (request) a custom box, specify a premium rebuild and throw a little money at the issue. I have no idea if their prior history of bending over backwards for the customer was generational and there is still a vestige of it left, but it is worth a shot.

At one time they actually sent a guy out to scour the local junk yards to find the parts I wanted. I was trying to set up a old Dodge 1 1/4 ton truck with power steering.

I've heard some complaints about their customer service, I always try to ask them instead of tell them, seems to work for me.

Last edited:
Back