• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory upcountry suspension

darkhelmet

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I just picked up a 1993 Cherokee sport, 4.0L and 5 speed manual, and I'm trying to figure whether or not it has the factory upcountry suspension. From another forum, supposedly it has:
UpCountry =

+1" springs that are slightly firmer
deleted rear sway bar
skid plates
tow hooks
rear Limited Slip differential
Heavy Duty Cooling
transmission cooler
full size spare
upgraded gas shocks
It has factory skid plates (front, transfer case, and gas tank), full size spare, and a factory limited slip, however no tow hooks nor rear sway bar delete. Were these options mixed and matched or something? I thought the skid plates and lsd were indicative of upcountry, but now I'm not so sure.

I tried looking for part numbers on the suspension but the vehicle has been thoroughly undercoated. No trans cooler, though it's a manual transmission. Any idea how to tell? Maybe the length of the bump stops (according to quadratec, the rear bump stops came in 2.9" and 4.0" lengths)?

The Up-Country option package contained all of the items you listed. Most or all of the Up-Country upgrades were individual option items that could be ordered separately from Jeep, or from the Dealership after the purchase.

Okay, so I have to look at the suspension itself then. I did some more digging and saw at factorychryslerparts.com that there are indeed two different rear bump stops: 104 mm (4.1") for regular 4wd cherokees, and 74 mm (2.9") bump stops for 2wd and upcountry suspension ones.

Part # 52004297
BUMPER. Jounce.. BUMPER, Rear Axle Jounce, BUMPER, Rear Jounce w/2WD or w/AWE (Up Country Susp. Pkg.). [SDB], 1984-85, 1986, Height = 74mm, Without [SDC,SDU], Without [SDU].
BUMPER, Rear Axle Jounce. Height = 74mm. . Required: 02 Part # 52002393

BUMPER. Jounce.. BUMPER, Rear Axle Jounce. [SDC,SDU], [SDU], 104mm, 1986, Height = 104mm, With [SDC,SDU].
BUMPER, Rear Axle Jounce. Height = 104mm. . Required: 02

I measured my bump stops and they are 2.9" tall (and I have 4wd), so it looks like I have the upcountry suspension :D

Okay, so you can only tell by the suspension then. I think I figured it out though. According to factorychryslerparts.com there were two factory rear bump stops: a 4.1” one for regular 4wd XJs and a 2.9” one for 2wd and upcountry suspension XJs. I have the 2.9” one and 4wd, so I must have the upcountry suspension.

Back