• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 ignition wiring question

go_home_red

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 4.0 XJ that seems (to me) to be wired improperly.

When I purchased the vehicle, the door/headlight chime would sound whenever the driver door was opened. It didn't matter if the key was in the ignition or not. So I unplugged the chime, which means that the headlights sometimes get left on (the door/key-in-ignition and headlight chime are in the same unit).

Also, when I rotate the key backwards (towards me, rather than forward as when starting the vehicle), the a/c blower fan becomes operable. I've never had another car do that--all other cars have the a/c blower only work when the key is forward in the "on" position.

Is there something I'm missing, or did my Jeep get wired wrong back in the day? If so, I'll take pointers on where to go.

turning the key towards you will enable the fan. everything except the ecu is powered.

the chime issue is probably the key in mechanism is warn out.

if you wanted to you can bend pin 7 over its the middle pin on the side with 3 pins on the chime module. it should disable the key alarm but the headlight side will still function.

its like a little piece of spring metal. you do have to remove it to get to the ignition cylinder. might be worth it to swap while your investigating.

Back