• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft compression travel available?

SV1CEC

NAXJA Forum User
Folks,

For those of you with a 4 cyl. manual XJ, with the double cardan front driveshaft, could you please tell me how much compression length do you have available?

I wanted to replace my CV driveshaft with a double cardan one, and I found one locally. It is not from an XJ, and even though it fits the 231 yoke I have it has only about 1 to 1.5 cm of compression travel left, when installed.

I wouldn't like to push the driveshaft through my transfer case, so I would appreciate a measurement.

Rgds and tnx in advance

SV1CEC said:
Folks,

For those of you with a 4 cyl. manual XJ, with the double cardan front driveshaft, could you please tell me how much compression length do you have available?

I wanted to replace my CV driveshaft with a double cardan one, and I found one locally. It is not from an XJ, and even though it fits the 231 yoke I have it has only about 1 to 1.5 cm of compression travel left, when installed.

I wouldn't like to push the driveshaft through my transfer case, so I would appreciate a measurement.

Rgds and tnx in advance

Im guessing you want to know the throw of your CV joint?

Measure the Slip spline throw, or travel 1330s are about 3 5/8" and 1310s are 3 7/32".

My junk yare drive shaft find measures to a 3 6/32in so its a 1310 slip spline.

Teh cherokees have the 1310 joints though a 1330 is idential in size they are different.

My foudn drive shaft had written in pen 84 bronco, but who knows what it really cam off..

Heres a pic, the top shaft I bought to use the double carden,
the middle shaft is the CV 1310
the bottom shaft si a 1360 1ton dive shaft for size comparison.

Re: Re: Front driveshaft compression travel available?

ashmanjeepxj said:
Im guessing you want to know the throw of your CV joint?

Measure the Slip spline throw, or travel 1330s are about 3 5/8" and 1310s are 3 7/32".

My junk yare drive shaft find measures to a 3 6/32in so its a 1310 slip spline.

Teh cherokees have the 1310 joints though a 1330 is idential in size they are different.

My foudn drive shaft had written in pen 84 bronco, but who knows what it really cam off..

Heres a pic, the top shaft I bought to use the double carden,
the middle shaft is the CV 1310
the bottom shaft si a 1360 1ton dive shaft for size comparison.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

What I want to know is this:

My front driveshaft has a spline in the middle towards the axle, so that it extends and shortens as the axle moves up and down. When it is installed on the truck, mine has only about 1-1. cm of travel, until it reaches its full compression. That seems very little to me. On a small drive I took the truck for this afternoon, the driveshaft run out of compression travel when the axle' left side was in full compression or when it was almost fully dropped.

I plan to have the upper part of the driveshaft shorten, but I need to know how much to cut.

Tnx

The stock fronts have about 3" of yoke slip!

what you need to do is pull the shaft and measure from yoke to yoke. Take you shaft to a reputable driveshaft rebuilder/repairer. he will figure it out for you. If you are not lifted like me my measurement will not help you!

Ghost said:
what you need to do is pull the shaft and measure from yoke to yoke. Take you shaft to a reputable driveshaft rebuilder/repairer. he will figure it out for you. If you are not lifted like me my measurement will not help you!

Dear Ghost,

You probably didn't notice that I am located in Athens, Greece. Reputable driveshaft stores do not exist. The only shops which do some work on driveshafts are those dealing with truckers (I mean the ones with 14 more wheels than we have, or something similar).

My XJ is currently standing at almost 6", if that helps.

Tnx and rgds

Back