• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start until CEL and GEN lights appear

Aversnell

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ 4.0 RWD auto. 160k.
First turn of key to ON: no lights in info panel except BRAKE (brake is not depressed), START gets crank but no start.
Second turn of key to ON: no lights in info panel except BRAKE, START gets crank but no start.
Third or fourth turn to ON: GEN and CEL lights flicker dimly into view, START gets crank but no start.
Some crank later: if I wait for GEN and CEL to come on strong at ON, then wait until they clear (leaving only BRAKE light), THEN turn to START, she starts. Sometimes stepping on the brake helps.

Any ideas? Also my gauges are dead but I don’t know if that’s related.

I’ve done generator, cleaned/tightened grounds, replaced fuel pump/regulator, filter, battery, plugs, cap, rotor, TPS, IAC, CPS, NSS, ignition switch (x2), ignition coil and more. Swapped relays around and checked fuses a million times. Getting ready to set the thing on fire. Runs like a dream once she starts, but takes her time starting.

Intellect had the same issue and it turned out to be the ECM. Look for his threads.

Good call.

For anybody who’s watching... it was the PCM. Slapped in a reman PCM and she starts right up. Still don’t have gauges. Stumped on those.

I just fixed my buddies 95 2.5l wrangler that had the same problem. Crack your ECM open and replace the 220uf 25vdc capacitors. His had three. You can find a tutorial on youtube. I did it for $4 in parts. Biggest p.i.ta. is getting all the ballistic gel off the circuit board so you can desolder/solder parts out and in bit worked like a charm.

Back