NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old April 9th, 2011, 18:55
NAXJA Forum User

Death Wobble

Our 2001 has been having real minor DW issues for about a month now but it hardly gets driven so I've been putting it off. All of the steering components were original and it's got 100,000 miles now. About a week ago I replaced the trackbar and the tie rods. NAPA wanted an insane amount for all of this (right at $500) so I ordered the stuff from Quadratec instead. The vehicle got an alignment the next day. The DW was better but today my wife had to call me to come get her from the Springs because she was scared of it. She said it was happening as low as 30mph. She knows what DW is as she experienced it on my 96 and I got it to repeat on the way back up to town but kept it under control by letting off the gas or hitting the brakes real hard when it started up. The steering stabilizer was on my list of things to replace since all the oil is blown from it. I just took it off and there is a dead spot right about where it normally sits where there is no resistance. I'm aware of the debates regarding stabilizers but given the fact that the oil is leaking from it and the dead spot, I'm going to replace it. I know for a fact that we haven't had the tires balanced in probably 4 years so that was also going to get done this weekend. She happened to be on 8th street when it happened and she pulled into Walmart and asked them to balance the tires but they said they couldn't because state law said there had to be a certain amount of tread. These tires are pretty worn but they're not that bad. I've never heard of such a law but they did encourage her to come in and look at their tires which sounds suspect. Those that know me will know that this thing has led a cushioned life and hardly ever seen a fire road. It's never seen a trail. It has a budget boost with 30" BFG AT's.

Is there such a law?

Am I on the right track?

Balljoints appear fine. Shocks are original and could probably be upgraded but not sure if that's more of an issue than the balance and stabilizer. One thing that I don't like the look of is the new trackbar. The rubber boot at the frame end os already cracked and appears dry rotted. The other concern with it is that when the steering is cycled shortly and quickly and you put finger on both the frame end mount and the top of the boot, you can feel the TB lift up slightly which can't be good at all. Not sure if I need to call them on Monday and complain about that.
Old April 9th, 2011, 19:53
NAXJA Member

Re: Death Wobble

The track bar might be loose. Get that thing evil-tight and cycle the steering again. If it continues to seperate at that joint, get it warrantied out.
Old April 9th, 2011, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

I'll try that tomorrow too. I was gonna check the axle end anyhow. Good thinkin' Lincoln!
Old April 10th, 2011, 13:07
NAXJA Forum User

I got the trackbar a bit tighter and it still has play at both ends. I don't trust it at all. I took 2 videos that are uploading now. They show the play at both ends that concerns me. I'll post them when they're ready. The stabilizer made a big difference. The thing that really worries me is how the front end wanders just a bit while driving and that's gotta be the play in both ends of the TB. I'm planning on calling them tomorrow but their policy says that they will take back any product and give a full refund as long as it hasn't been installed. How would I see the play without installing it though?

View My Video

View My Video

Last edited by riverfever; April 10th, 2011 at 13:20.
Old April 10th, 2011, 13:35
NAXJA Member

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Send that cheap shite back and support your local economy. If they screw you for the money, count it as a tuition payment in the school of hard knocks.
Old April 10th, 2011, 13:51
NAXJA Forum User

If you listen in both videos you'll hear a knocking noise. I'm pretty certain that noise is coming from the frame end as it's being picked up and contacting the mounting bracket. That's where you can feel it the worst although it can be felt all through the tie rods and draglink and even at the steering box. Scary shite.
Old April 10th, 2011, 15:27
NAXJA Member

I just showed the vids to my bud, he's picking his jaw up off the ground. We've taken off better worn out track bars.

Shop your nearest Advance and Checker/O'Rileys. You can get better quality and prices compared to q-tech and your closest NAPA.
Old April 10th, 2011, 15:31
NAXJA Member # 101

Looks like the bolt is too small in diamter for the trackbar bushing at axle end.

The frame end looks like a bad component, if the bracket were "egged" out the play would/should be horizontal?
Old April 10th, 2011, 15:40
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandXJ View Post
Looks like the bolt is too small in diamter for the trackbar bushing at axle end.
The clamping force of the bolt holds the steel bushing in place. The bolt diameter would matter if you snapped the bolt trying to torque to published specs.
Old April 10th, 2011, 16:02
NAXJA Member # 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoid View Post
The clamping force of the bolt holds the steel bushing in place. The bolt diameter would matter if you snapped the bolt trying to torque to published specs.
Wouldnt need to rely on "clamping force" or torque spec if there was no slop between the bushing sleeve and bolt.
Old April 10th, 2011, 19:36
NAXJA Forum User

Yes but it's an OE replacement TB and I'm using the OE bolt. I did break the bolt but it was replaced with the same size.

I'm planning on calling QTech in the morning and asking if they will take it back and give me a credit on a JKS TB. Anyone have any experience with it? It seems decent enough for a stocker.
Old April 10th, 2011, 21:15
NAXJA Member

Watched the vids....... Yikes, yeah that's some soft compound rubber in the axle end...... the TRE end is a joke too.

End of Watch: MC1, 1312 & 0369....... Rest easy brothers, we've got it from here. -----
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:45
NAXJA Forum User

Well Qtech was really great about taking care of the situation and they didn't even ask many questions. They are going to send a call tag for that TB and send me a JKS unit and credit the difference. I think that one will be better (can't be worse).
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:36
NAXJA Member #1096

man, that TB sucked! FWIW, every time I've had deathwobble, its been cured by a tire balance, although obviously that trackbar was a contributing factor!
As the reasons for the carnage eat their meat and lick the gravy, we oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies - As the madmen play on words and make us all dance to their song, to the tune of starving millions to make a better kind of gun. ~ BD
Old April 14th, 2011, 18:50
NAXJA Forum User

New JKS trackbar went on and is much more solid. Tires are gettng balanced tomorrow and then we'll see.

During this process and having someone cycle the wheel back and forth, I noticed a knock. I originally thought it was the trackbar getting pulled up into the chassis mount but it's still there. You can feel it in the draglink but you can really feel it if you grab the steering box. There are zero leaks and the fluid level is good. I don't think this is the box just being loosely mounted. Anyone had one of these make a similar noise before getting ready to go? When/if a steering box does go out what happens? I know that sounds like a dumb question but will steering go out entirely? This knock does not happen if cycled slowly. It's only if the wheel is turned from maybe 11 to 1 very quickly.