• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suggest a track bar after 2" (1.75) budget boost and death wobble

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
I wasn't planning on getting one yet, but after I put in the 1.75" spacers I had a case of death wobble. So I set the toe and took it in to have a shop check it 'cause it clunks and they said that I need a new track bar and stearing stabilizer. I was quoted $158 for the track bar and figgure if I need a new one I may as well upgrade now :patriot:.

What do you recomend? The closer it is to $160 the easier it'll be to sell to the wife. I don't plan on going much if any higher, maybe 1-1.5" at most. I love how well it flexes now and hope a new bar will help with flex.

And I did search but it seems most don't upgrade track bars until 3+ inches of lift.:confused1

If you track bar is in good shape, why not do the track bar mod that sets the axle straight. There is a write up around here somewhere

fix your existing tracbar, chances are your bracket is loose or something else is causing your dw, at 2", its not needed...

As I understand it the ball joint in the track bar is a wear arm and mine is wore out. The bracket sure looked secure to me but I'll get the wife to turn the wheel while I watch it to make sure before I order anything.

Also, afaik death wobble can occure at stock heights with worn out suspension parts, including the track bar. Am I wrong about this?

If it will cost $160 to replace the stock, failure-prone piece and $190 for a solid aftermarket piece, I'd rather go aftermarket. The Iron Rock one looks great but says it's for 3-8 inches and I'm at (almost) 2". But that's closer to 3 than stock so maybe it'd be more centered than it is now and would be "good enough" :dunno:? Or is there one that would be a better fit?

Just buy a heavy-duty, genuine spicer track bar from rock auto for $75 and install it in your driveway yourself and be done with it. It takes about 20 mins with common hand tools.
Why are they gonna charge you $160? Theivery!

not trying to jack the thread but what about the track bars w/ the crossmemberbraces? I am in the same boat as srimes. I have a 2" and need to replace because my trac bar was wearing this seems to have excacerbated the problem.

also srimes rocky-road has one for 109 i think. don't know anyone who runs it but they seem to carry a pretty undeniable good line of parts in general.

cheaper at www.partstrain.com - $149.95. It's not the best, but better than stock and the price isn't bad either.

What are the issues with this one? The price is good and it is double shear, right? That's what the pic looks like to me, but when they say "tie rod end" that's not what I picture. Aren't tie rod ends the problem with rusty's track bar?

What are the issues with this one? The price is good and it is double shear, right? That's what the pic looks like to me, but when they say "tie rod end" that's not what I picture. Aren't tie rod ends the problem with rusty's track bar?

the only thing i can see is the poly bushings on both ends instead of flex joint of some type on one end. it's not a tie rod end, i've seen it in person and it looks like the pic. from what i hear, yes the tie rod is what breaks.

Last edited:
This is the one I would give a try. Yes it is a bit above the buget, But it you got with more lift later you won't have to buy another the part again.
Just an Idea.
Going to put one on my 87 Wagoneer with 3" buget boost.

Don't know if anyone's still watching this thread. I like the design and reviews of both rock krawler and iron rock track bars. But both spec a lift of at least 3", can I trim it to fit my 2" lift?

Back