• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So What if I Don't Plow?

banderso

NAXJA Forum User
Preface: I'm a cheap-ass. And I've only been in Michigan for I think 4 winters, so I'm still kinda of new to this snow business.

I just bought a house. And I have a gravel driveway about 1/3 of a mile long. My property is essentially landlocked, and about half my driveway is actually an easement through someone else's corn field. I've been told I'm going to get snow drifts on the driveway, and from what I've seen so far, that's true.

But the girlfriend drives a quadradrive WJ with Blizzaks and I drive JKs from work. Our worst snow vehicle is probably the 4x4 2500 with siped ATs. So I don't think we're gonna get stuck.

If I don't plow, am I going to somehow ruin the driveway? Am I going to piss off the cornfield owner (I think he lives across the street)? Any other reason I actually I actually need to plow? Thoughts?

not gonna tear up anything.

the only reason to remove snow is to not get stuck.

put up some snow fence to keep the drifting down?

Having grown up in snow country, I say plow. As you drive, you pack down the snow that doesn't melt and builds up with each snowstorm. Over time you will end up trying to drive down a mound of ice instead of a road.

Alright, I think the game plan is gonna be to figure out for sure who owns the field and approach them about putting up some snow fence. I can't imagine they'd mind, but better to check first. Probably about time I meet the neighbors anyway. Snow fence should keep the drifts down, and more importantly, keep me from looking completely negligent.

Gonna skip plowing this winter. If it's a disaster, I'll look for a little tractor with a loader and do better next winter.

Back