• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking at xj with a plow

mcguyver_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking to get back into an xj again there is one near me its a 1997 with 172k and a composite plow...i am familiar with xj's i have driven and wheeled 2 and all togethor have owned 4 this will be my dd/ weekend rock crawler for a bit then down the road a few years a trailer rig...

what should i look for idk how long the plow has been on im thinking obviously check the subframe but any other suggestions? going to look tomorrow and if i buy plow comes off and gets sold

After working on a friends Duramax that was a plow vehicle, I will NEVER buy a plow vehicle.

That said, it really depends how it was used. If it was only used on the guy's own driveway then it shouldn't be that badly beaten. Does it have a tranny cooler? How do all the fluids look? Keep in mind that when driving with the plow up, the plow blocks a lot of airflow to the radiator.

Plow vehicles also see lots of forward/reverse shifting. Check the front suspension and steering for loose/worn parts. Like I said it really depends on how it was used. If it was an older guy who only had the plow on for a few years and used it a couple times on his own driveway, I don't see it as a big deal if it was taken care of. If it was owned by someone who plowed driveways or parking lots with it and neglected maintenance, run far away.

well the one upside i see is it is using a composite plow i have seen xj's with full fledged steel plows and they look torched i am gonna ask how long its had a plow from the pics it looks like its sagging a little from the weight

Back