• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower front shock mount

Larrythedog

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to set up my front shocks and I have a few questions. Why are most of the Jeepspeeds front lower shock mounts so far behind the center line of the axel? These pictures all seem to have the center of the shock bolt about 2-3 inches behind the center of the LCA bolt. Is this to gain clearance between the coil spring and bypass shocks? Or is this an attempt to keep the shock as perpendicular to the LCA as possible? It seems to me that the coil spring should bow away from the shocks, is this always the case?
lower2.jpg

lower3.jpg

lower4.jpg

Looks to me like they're all in an attempt to keep the bolt for the LCA accessible.

Do you think the coil will move far enough to be a issue.

i think its just a proven way of mounting the larger shocks lower.

when i installed some 2.5 bypasses up front, there was no way even 10's would fit at the stock lower, so its gotta get mounted lower.

i thought about it, and realized 'oh yeah, thats why theyre allways mounted like that!'

You really answered all your own questions.

But you are correct In the fact that (are you thinking what im thinking?)
That the shock would be fully utilized at the centerline of the axel and as close to the center of the wheel as physically possible....

But then you have coil springs and class rules or just a real persons budget...

You really answered all your own questions.

But you are correct In the fact that (are you thinking what im thinking?)
That the shock would be fully utilized at the centerline of the axel and as close to the center of the wheel as physically possible....

But then you have coil springs and class rules or just a real persons budget...

Ya, I had the bottom mount done and tacked in but I'm going scrap it and start over. I'll end up with something like the second picture.

Ya, I had the bottom mount done and tacked in but I'm going scrap it and start over. I'll end up with something like the second picture.

Who built the one in the second pic?

They actaully did a really nice job... We can dramaranger it and talk about how they put too much heat into the part... lol...

Haha Its definatly well done, I think my jaw hit the keyboard when I saw it.

Any other pics of this particular truck?

Who built the one in the second pic?

They actaully did a really nice job... We can dramaranger it and talk about how they put too much heat into the part... lol...

Haha Its definatly well done, I think my jaw hit the keyboard when I saw it.

Any other pics of this particular truck?

The second pics is from my Jeepspeed. The entire front beam was built at Currie and was fabed by Tony Sato.

So is anyone worried about the stress shocks put on the welds? I am just curious if going through whoops with the shocks on something like the bottom pic if there is a chance those could rip off?

I'm trying to set up my front shocks and I have a few questions. Why are most of the Jeepspeeds front lower shock mounts so far behind the center line of the axel? These pictures all seem to have the center of the shock bolt about 2-3 inches behind the center of the LCA bolt. Is this to gain clearance between the coil spring and bypass shocks? Or is this an attempt to keep the shock as perpendicular to the LCA as possible? It seems to me that the coil spring should bow away from the shocks, is this always the case?
lower2.jpg

lower3.jpg

lower4.jpg

is there a company that makes those lower mount brackets in the second picture?

What are those little silver inserts that slide into the lower heim called? some 7100's i bought need them so i can stick my control arm bolt through it but i dont know what they are called or where i can buy them. TIA!

-Nick

What are those little silver inserts that slide into the lower heim called? some 7100's i bought need them so i can stick my control arm bolt through it but i dont know what they are called or where i can buy them. TIA!

-Nick

misalignment spacers, although pretty sure the 7100's just use a piece of tubing that don't step down to 1/2"(kings/saws/etc have either a 5/8" or 7/8" bore depending on the shock size and the spacers go inside and step the hole down to 1/2"). Your control arm bolts should be 9/16"(or metric equiv if stock), and shock bolts are 1/2", you should not use the same bolt for both if that is what you are trying to do. You can see the piece of tubing welded to the side of the control arm bracket(right behind the bolt head in your pic) so you can stick a socket in there to access the control arm bolts. You can get those spacers from any bilstein dealer or make your own.
good luck

misalignment spacers, although pretty sure the 7100's just use a piece of tubing that don't step down to 1/2"(kings/saws/etc have either a 5/8" or 7/8" bore depending on the shock size and the spacers go inside and step the hole down to 1/2"). Your control arm bolts should be 9/16"(or metric equiv if stock), and shock bolts are 1/2", you should not use the same bolt for both if that is what you are trying to do. You can see the piece of tubing welded to the side of the control arm bracket(right behind the bolt head in your pic) so you can stick a socket in there to access the control arm bolts. You can get those spacers from any bilstein dealer or make your own.
good luck

is there a reason for not using the same bolt? I've seen a few people doing that, just have to reinforce the control arm brackets with some mini skids or what not. I went and bought a 5.5" grade 8 1/2" bolt and 2 nuts to make it work.

well they are not the same size for one. Shocks 1/2", control arms 9/16", I mean i guess you could somehow sleeve the lca mount to run 1/2" but seeing as those hold your axle in place, I sure wouldn't do it.
good luck

well they are not the same size for one. Shocks 1/2", control arms 9/16", I mean i guess you could somehow sleeve the lca mount to run 1/2" but seeing as those hold your axle in place, I sure wouldn't do it.
good luck

on my set up its 1/2" up top and 9/16" on bottom. so its a 9/16" bolt, my bad

Back