• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231J rebuld... TC wont re-install... What did I miss?

Mirage mobile

NAXJA Forum User
I rebuilt a NP231J from my 1999 XJ with AX15.

2H,4H,N,4L appeared to be working properly before re-installing.

Upon re-installation, I could not get the TC / Transmission flanges to be flush, as there was a 1/2" gap. It seemed like either the trans output shaft was bottoming out on the TC input or some of the six flange studs were bent slightly.

I continued to gently tighten the TC flange studs in a star pattern and the gap between the flanges began to decrease...great.

However, I stopped upon hearing a POP inside the TC! This occured with 1/8-1/4" flange gap remaining.

What could be causing this?

link
to NP231 diagram

1. I don't think its possible to install the input gear pilot bearing too far forward, as it will encounter the input gear splines.

2. Is it possible to install the input gear bearing too far forward, such that the entire planetary gear can be shifted too far forward, too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mirage

I rebuilt a NP231J from my 1999 XJ with AX15.

2H,4H,N,4L appeared to be working properly before re-installing.

Upon re-installation, I could not get the TC / Transmission flanges to be flush, as there was a 1/2" gap. It seemed like either the trans output shaft was bottoming out on the TC input or some of the six flange studs were bent slightly.

I continued to gently tighten the TC flange studs in a star pattern and the gap between the flanges began to decrease...great.

However, I stopped upon hearing a POP inside the TC! This occured with 1/8-1/4" flange gap remaining.

What could be causing this?

link
to NP231 diagram

1. I don't think its possible to install the input gear pilot bearing too far forward, as it will encounter the input gear splines.

2. Is it possible to install the input gear bearing too far forward, such that the entire planetary gear can be shifted too far forward, too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mirage

It would appear that the input gear pilot bearing is seated too far forward and is prohibiting the full seatment of the trans output shaft.

Does anyone know the preferred depth of this bearing in the planetary gear?

Im still not sure how I seated it too deep...

Back