• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting issues

jkruse74

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone! I am having some issues with my XJ shifting and I am in some need of advice. So here we go:

96' XJ
Auto trans

So I recently bought this jeep and I noticed it skips over 2nd gear and straight into 3rd so quick, it also doesn't seem to lock the TC up on the highway. I can drop it out of OD and the RPM's go up a few hundred but it just doesn't feel right. I have replaced the TPS and adjusted the kickdown cable the proper way, did a drain and refill with Dex/Merc 2 times, adjusted the brake light switch that was pushed out a little bit.

Also, when going down the highway it is at about 2700 RPM @ 65 which is much more than my other jeep with the same config is. It will also bounce the tach quite a bit when I let off the gas going over 45. My next thought is to change the solenoids out so any help is greatly appreciated!

Check/test solenoids in trans, check TCU.
While driving, start in 1-2 pos., let it rev out and see if it ever shifts into second.
A way to potentially test fault of the TCU/drive close to normal, disco the TCU. And manually shift through the gears. You will NOT have 2nd, at all with disco'd. AS 2nd gear is engaged with the solenoids.

For TC lockup, brake switch is usually the issue.

Check/test solenoids in trans, check TCU.

Look here for info on testing. All check if there are any stored codes.

A bad solenoid causing it to skip just second gear would be a bit unusual to me, given which solenoids are engaged to select the gears.

Gear Solenoid A Solenoid B
First on off
Second on on
Third off on
Forth off off

Back