• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator hose exploded

arcticjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

Sorry to say my 96 XJ (215000) Cherokee 4.0 overheated 2 days ago and remains stranded... I've had it for 20 years and meant to keep it running forever.

Water pump & radiator had been replaced. Oil & coolant levels normal, oil not milky... The engine had been running fine since forever... I'd lately been getting no heat from the heater, but I thought this was just because the heater valve was broken. The last couple times I drove there'd been some erratic temp. readings, but not going into the red.

Now that I understand a little more I realize the problem was maybe just the thermostat!!

Is it a good idea to try starting it again, if I put in a new hose, coolant, and thermostat? To see if I can move it at least a few miles? Is this guaranteed major engine trouble?

Thanks!

Definitely try it and see! Don't forget to "burp" the system!

It should start. It's very important after changing out parts you "burp" or "bleed" the system. If you don't know how to do this just skip to the 4 minute mark of this video and it will show you
https://youtu.be/0u5jyahPi0Y

Make sure you also replace the radiator cap. It MUST be a cap rated at 16lbs. So make sure you ask for that specifically some stores may try to sell you a 13lb.

Jeeps run best with the factory 195 thermostat. So get that one.

Do all this and you should be good to go!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's good to hear... I replaced the radiator cap not too long ago so hopefully that's ok. I just checked the spark plugs and they are all dry and look good, so I'm pretty happy have to have apparently escaped ruining the head gasket! So I will give it a go with new hose, thermostat, & coolant. Also it looks like when the electric fan was falling out earlier it banged against the radiator a bit so I'll keep an eye out for leaks there.
Oh I'll also plug the broken vacuum line from my heater valve, which I had yet to do.

Some replacement thermostats have what's called a "rattle valve" which helps to equalize pressure buildup and helps with 'burping'. If the new thermostat dosen't have one, I like to drill a 1/8" hole near the edge of the thermostat and install it with the hole toward the top.

If your jeep is overheating it's very possible it's the fan clutch, my jeep is a 99 with 65,000 miles the mechanic replaced the water pump, thermostat... and still overheated, it ended up being the fan clutch. It was one of the first DIY jobs I did myself and I have 2 left hands, lol
It's a pretty inexpensive part also.

So, the test for the fan clutch is just to give the fan a spin (engine off, but warm) by hand, to see if it turns on its own for too long?

To be honest, I tried all the test described and I couldn't figure it out if it was broken or not, so I just replaced it because it because the mechanic already threw a bunch of parts on it and they didn't help and the part was cheap and a DIY job. Also my Jeep had such low miles and is 3 years younger than yours and I still and to replace the clutch in 2012. Your jeep is at 210,000 and 3 years older than mine, it definitely can only help your cooling to change the clutch. It's a common part that goes bad.

If its over heating at idle, but staying well within the good range at cruise speeds, that is a good indicator. But as said previously, it's cheap enough that "when in doubt, throw it out" , pretty well applies.

Back