• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket hood rattle

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I had my hood replaced after some hail damage. The hood they installed seems cheaper. Thinner metal, underside seems to be glued on with some sort of black foam like material.

Main problem is it rattles on bumps. I think some part of the underside hood framing is rattling against the top. Does anyone know what that black foam is so I can add more, or recommend some other material to line the gaps between the hood frame and top?

Not sure about that, there's a gap of an 1/8th of an inch or so. To get the epoxy to stick I'd need to press the top to the frame which might deform it. I'll try and grab some photos in daylight tomorrow. Getting the sense this is a very aftermarket hood though, based on this crap. Or did later year XJs shoot for lighter hoods? '98 here.

I can't remember the product we used at the body shop, I think it's a 3m product. I'll see if I can dig up the name. The problem is cheap Chinese products are made so poorly. A thick seam sealer would work. Otherwise fusor and 3m make some really good adhesives/epoxies that would work if you can prep the surfaces. I'd personally go find a factory hood and have it paint matched and blended.

I can't remember the product we used at the body shop, I think it's a 3m product. I'll see if I can dig up the name. The problem is cheap Chinese products are made so poorly. A thick seam sealer would work. Otherwise fusor and 3m make some really good adhesives/epoxies that would work if you can prep the surfaces. I'd personally go find a factory hood and have it paint matched and blended.

Yeah, I'm kind of committed now, what with it being on and painted. Next time I need one I'll definitely hit a junkyard. I don't really have the ability to prep so I'll give the camp foam a shot.

There's a product called 3M FlexFoam that's used to bond hood,
door, and trunk bracing. It comes in a spray can and you simply
shoot it into the cracks between the bracing and hood.
(That might be what Cherokeefan_1 is talking about).

I'd think a tube of 3M Silicone would work OK too.

That sounds right. Looking at it, its clear its a spray or squeeze foam that merely got painted by the paint guys with the gloss black that wound up everywhere.

The quest for perfection by 200k continues...

Back