• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering brace and excessive noise

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So, anyone else notice a significant increase in noise following install of a steering box brace?? I don't drive mine that often, but I'd swear it's up a notch from prior noise levels....and it really wasn't quiet previously....but this seems REALLY loud.
Your experiences???

That's what I was thinking, which is why I was asking for a noise description. Rubbing on the steering arm could cause headaches. :D

Nope, no rubbing, I visually cleared it prior to road test. But it is right at the bottom of the steering box housing. The jeep was actually not what I would call REALLY loud prior. We went through the "quiets every little squeek and rattle" when we installed the T&J chassis stiffeners. It's not "Groaning? Popping? Chattering? Squeaking?" It's more like constant road noise. I'd almost think it was tire noise if I hadn't been used to the mudders noise for years... It's pretty constant, may actually get loader with speed, but not cyclic at all. I thought it might have to do with the front end...as I was first in AWD mode with the snow and all. That was the first drive after install. But it makes no difference in AWD or RWD. Same noise. It's just louder "white" noise?? I was thinking maybe because it is metal to metal from one side of unibody to the other...that it might be transfering some noise from steering box directly into unibody?:dunno:

could it be something unrelated? sounds like bad wheel bearing.

could it be something unrelated? sounds like bad wheel bearing.

It could be....what's a bad unit bearing sound like?? I've had bad wheel bearings in the past...and I could actually take them apart and LOOK at them....I don't think I can do that with these unit bearings....although I hear you don't get as greasy when replacing them:looser:
Is there a way to check them? Jacking up and shaking the wheel??:dunno: The truck was sitting for likely a month or more prior to install and driving.
Thanks!

unit bearings keep your hands less greasy, nothing clean about removing wheel bearings still. LOL

jack wheel up and hold wheel at 12 and 6 and rock. if there is not any slack and the noise is still there. remove the unit bearing and spin it. should have some resistance, smooth and no noise.

i had them have tons of slack and be bad. some had no slack, but when removed you could hear the dry bearings and feel the vibrations on the hub. when spun they would spin more than 2 rev's. normally new units have so much resistance they feel tight but smooth.

i dunno, hope this helps. had similar experiences. had bad replacements too.

Back