• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Issue

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
My rig is a 95, auto, with the 4.0. A while back I did the full guage swap. Near the end of July I finally got around to putting in the correct oil pressure sender at the same time as new oil, filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and temp. sender. It ran fine up until last Tuesday. Guage showed the pressure to hold at 40 when idling, just over 40 when driving, and if I was hard on the gas it would go up slightly more. If it downshifted while traveling at highway speeds and went over 3000 RPMs it would spike at somewhere between 60-80 on the guage.

Last Tuesday it starts acting up. It's fine when I'm idling, but as soon as the engine RPM's go up the guage maxes out. It doesn't matter if it's from me pressing the gas or from the transmission downshifting. If I let it idle again or even slightly let of the gas and hold it steady it will come back down. I checked the oil and it was at the lower line of the safe area. I added the spare quart I had which put it to the upper line, but there was no change. I checked the connection on the sender and the wire leading to it, but they looked fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

laredo said:
My guess is that you used high mileage oil didn't you?The same thing happened to me.
Yeah, I did happen to use Mobil1 high mileage. Is that all it is? I just need to use a non high mileage formula? Did it mess anything else up, or did just changing the oil again take care of it?

It's just the high mileage oil.I used to run it alot in my 89.It never gave me any problems.If I remember correctly,even after I changed my oil the next time with regular oil it was still on the high side but it never was at max.I'd rather 40 or above than below.

Sounds good, I'll pick up some regular and change it out. I don't mind if it reads high, it just does me no good if it always maxes out. Thanks!

Back